Looking to buy a 2001 RXDI.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jeffsw10

As the title states, I'm looking to possibly buy a 2001 RXDI. Not new to the PWC game - 1st SeaDoo was a 1993 SP I bought new then a few years later I purchased a new 1997 GSX Limited. Haven't had a PWC since 2000. Found a 2001 RXDI at a dealer in Georgia with 169 hours. Plan on going to look at it this Saturday. Looks pretty good in the pics and the dealer said it checks out mechanically. Read a few negative thing about the DI. Any advice is appreciated.

I must be brutally honest,,,stay away from ANY DI,,,seadoo stopped stocking fuel pumps for that machine, and aftermarket rarely if ever work.,,and the fuel injection system is very hard to diagnose…just my 1.2 cents.

I restore the old 2-strokes at present and people definitely don't want to work on DI's but that's true with all the 2-strokes. :) I can tell you if the ski is working it will run about 58mph. They handle great and are good on fuel. I'd keep an eye on the oil lines getting brittle. If you are going to work on it you'll need the Candoo or somebody with one. Hey... they are way cheaper than a new ski. LOL Good Luck whatever you decide.

"Read a few negative things about the DI". HA, what an understatement. Took me 2+ years to get my DI working again after the engine failed. 2 rebuilds later it seems to be fine, but they are a real mess to diagnose and work on. A $400 Candoo is almost a requirement if you want to own it long term. And if it has an aftermarket fuel pump, expect to have issues with it too.

For me the Candoo is really good for making keys, resetting the TPS and such simple things. LOL That may be because I'm not very good at using it. :) I'm generally on the phone with Dennis trying to get mine working properly and it is generally something that is operator error... as in my fault or a weird issue. It would be a lot more difficult for me without one for sure. I swap MPEMs and need keys enough to make it easily worth my while. :) If I don't have that instrument, I won't know that everything is OK which it generally is and I'd have to throw parts at it. Thankfully, I have a large supply of spare parts if that is necessary. :) Good Luck !!

Last edited:
I ended up picking it up anyway. Needed a good clean and detail. Replaced the seat over, grips, top loader intake and installed blacktip decking. Took it out once so far and hit 61mph on GPS. So for $2000 with trailer, if it lasts 2 summers I'm good.

Attachments

• 20230212_151731.jpg
    20230212_151731.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 24
I ended up picking it up anyway. Needed a good clean and detail. Replaced the seat over, grips, top loader intake and installed blacktip decking. Took it out once so far and hit 61mph on GPS. So for $2000 with trailer, if it lasts 2 summers I'm good.

That's a DI? Check your oil pump hoses as best you can spend some time Looking around. Pull the plugs and see how they are burning and... check your compression. Run 93 octane fuel and full synthetic injection oil in that baby. Good Luck and have fun !!

That's a DI? Check your oil pump hoses as best you can spend some time Looking around. Pull the plugs and see how they are burning and... check your compression. Run 93 octane fuel and full synthetic injection oil in that baby. Good Luck and have fun !!
Plugs, look good. All the hoses have been replaced. 93 octane yup, and Klotz synthetic oil. Haven't check compression yet.

Yes a DI

The one I had ran 58mph on the GPS. That was before I did the top end. Dunno if it went any faster after the work. LOL Th guy that bought it loved it. LOL

who makes that seat cover? How easy was install? Thanks

who makes that seat cover? How easy was install? Thanks
I'm not sure his seat is the exact same shape as my 2000 RX. My foam was very deteriorated and I was able to patch it and get a really nice shape. I've put a few seat covers on and I hate them more and more. You really have to know what you are doing especially to get things lined up properly and I surely don't know much about it. :D :D When the seat has a contour in the middle that has to be glued to get it to lay down properly. I brought this seat to a guy I use for upholstery to get the cover mounted. He did a great job as usual. His wife also said he had to use the steamer and it took two of them. LOL I'm not saying it can't be done and made to look nice but that stuff kicks my butt and I'm not doing it. :D :D As you can see this is a Black Tip seat cover. Good Luck !!

2000 RX Seat complete.jpg

I'm not sure his seat is the exact same shape as my 2000 RX. My foam was very deteriorated and I was able to patch it and get a really nice shape. I've put a few seat covers on and I hate them more and more. You really have to know what you are doing especially to get things lined up properly and I surely don't know much about it. :D :D When the seat has a contour in the middle that has to be glued to get it to lay down properly. I brought this seat to a guy I use for upholstery to get the cover mounted. He did a great job as usual. His wife also said he had to use the steamer and it took two of them. LOL I'm not saying it can't be done and made to look nice but that stuff kicks my butt and I'm not doing it. :D :D As you can see this is a Black Tip seat cover. Good Luck !!

View attachment 61339
Thank you sir-looks good. Here are my seat covers-they aren't bad, just getting a little brittle at the back of them.

Attachments

• DSC05782.JPG
    DSC05782.JPG
    341.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC05783.JPG
    DSC05783.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 6
Thank you sir-looks good. Here are my seat covers-they aren't bad, just getting a little brittle at the back of them.
Looks like my 2000 RX. I just painted the whole dang thing... bottom too. Like to killed me. Looks nice now but I'm' waiting for graphics. This is my old picture. Ski had a duct tape seat before I replaced it. I think it was suppose to be gray but I wanted some "bling". :)

2000 RX Genes 1.jpg

Unfortunately, candoo cannot accurately diagnose fuel rail issues,,,or the air compressor,,,
I found a guy that makes the fittings to test the fuel rail on both sides (they are different as you know of course.) I LOVE those fittings. Pop them right on and you can see everything right away. I had a bad air compressor and I just connected an external air pressure line to the fitting and the ski started right up. :D I used to dread fuel issues with the DI. The fella told me he finds air pressure issues are often just a bad o-ring on the compressor side.

Looks like my 2000 RX. I just painted the whole dang thing... bottom too. Like to killed me. Looks nice now but I'm' waiting for graphics. This is my old picture. Ski had a duct tape seat before I replaced it. I think it was suppose to be gray but I wanted some "bling". :)

View attachment 61361
I would like to see the pictures when you are done and get the graphics. I would like to get all black kevlar seats for both skis. Probably better stop talking about seat covers on this thread, send pictures, thanks.

I would like to see the pictures when you are done and get the graphics. I would like to get all black kevlar seats for both skis. Probably better stop talking about seat covers on this thread, send pictures, thanks.
Black is gonna get awful hot in the summer.

The gray didn't polish up like most gelcoats. It just got uglier so I had to do the bottom because it was damaged and not repaired properly. I sent PWCgraphics stencils/tracings of the graphics. He is slow but I'm sure he'll do a great job. Apparently he had never done graphics for that model.
Here is the thread with all my paint and repairs on the RX. 2000 RX Paint

Black is gonna get awful hot in the summer.

The gray didn't polish up like most gelcoats. It just got uglier so I had to do the bottom because it was damaged and not repaired properly. I sent PWCgraphics stencils/tracings of the graphics. He is slow but I'm sure he'll do a great job. Apparently he had never done graphics for that model.
Here is the thread with all my paint and repairs on the RX. 2000 RX Paint
I don't sit on them. Lol. Love the black metallic hood.

So Jeffsw10, how has your RX DI been working out for you?

Curious as I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 RX and a 2002 RX DI/w trailer. Both low hours, dusty (stored a garage always) but other than that, look like new. These are owned by an older Porsche club member who keeps all his cars, motorcycles ect in impeccable shape. These waverunners have sat for quite a long time so have bad batteries and foul gas. A good overall cleaning and the gas system cleaning is in store. I have two '95 seadoo's now (HX & XP) that I have rebuilt/restored and the work great. I was planning to pick up the RX & RX DI today as the owners is headed to Germany and won't be back till the end of August.

But this thread is making me think twice on the RX DI. Are they really that much of a PITA if something goes wrong?

So Jeffsw10, how has your RX DI been working out for you?

Curious as I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 RX and a 2002 RX DI/w trailer. Both low hours, dusty (stored a garage always) but other than that, look like new. These are owned by an older Porsche club member who keeps all his cars, motorcycles ect in impeccable shape. These waverunners have sat for quite a long time so have bad batteries and foul gas. A good overall cleaning and the gas system cleaning is in store. I have two '95 seadoo's now (HX & XP) that I have rebuilt/restored and the work great. I was planning to pick up the RX & RX DI today as the owners is headed to Germany and won't be back till the end of August.

But this thread is making me think twice on the RX DI. Are they really that much of a PITA if something goes wrong?
I've put 20 hours or so since I puchased it in Jan/Feb and its been flawless. Nothing more to add honestly.

Question on oil for the RX DI. Wondering it this XPS 'Snow" 2T is ok to use. Says its good for Oil injection.

Attachments

• XPS 2T.JPG
    XPS 2T.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 3
I wouldn't. You want the full synthetic oil designed for "direct injection". The (newer?) XPS Snow full synthetic says "direct injection" on the bottle and should be fine.

Back