Leak Down Test Leak at Intake Manifolds

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Boyd12

951 Carb engine leaks at the intake manifolds when doing a leak down test. Surfaces are clean, torque is correct. Is it ok to use sealer? I would rather not, but I have tried two sets of manifolds with the same result.

I rechecked the surfaces and torqued to 90 inch/lbs. Still leak. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Intake manifold leak.jpg
    Intake manifold leak.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 15
Probably not much help to you but I had a similar leak on a 717 for my Challenger, leaked where the intake manifold mates to the rotary valve cover. I ordered a new o-ring, haven’t gotten it back together yet but I’m hoping the new o-ring fixed it. What do you have there? O-ring? Or a gasket? Either way, if you’ve replaced the gasket or o-ring and it’s still leaking I couldn’t see a small amount of 518 hurting anything. I always use 518 on my cylinder base gaskets and it calls for it on some o-rings.

Thank you for the response. It does not have a gasket or seal. I was thinking about using sealer, but I hate to do that since it should not need any. The problem is I cannot install this engine in its present condition.

Attachments

• Intake manifold diagram.jpg
    Intake manifold diagram.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 10
I’m not going to be much help sorry. Last time I worked on something with reeds was 2 years ago. It was a 2003 600 MXZ. I do remember that the reed cage looked similar to yours in here, but I can’t remember how that sealed up but it did, it wasn’t metal on metal on my snowmobile, I thought it was either a gasket or the reed cage itself had a rubber gasket on it? I can’t remember, good luck though,

Intake gasket on 951 no more ?
Maybe this might help, from the little bit I read on this thread, it looks like there is a rubber gasket on the reed cage that is your gasket, how do they look? Maybe new reed cages unless the rubber on them can be purchased separately

Let us know what happens, I would be interested to see a couple of pictures of the reed cage, more specifically the rubber gasket on it.
For some reason Cometic sent these gaskets like it was an organ donation, I got them this morning! Obviously, they are not correct. I cut the opening to match the manifold and installed them. No more leaking. Yay!

Attachments

• Cometic reed gaskets.jpg
    Cometic reed gaskets.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
For some reason Cometic send these gaskets like it was an organ donation, I got them this morning! Obviously, they are not correct. I cut the opening to match the manifold and installed them. No more leaking. Yay!
I meant to hit the laughing face, that’s to funny. Made me laugh out loud. Glad you got it fixed

Back