Jet pump steering nozzle very noisy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mejim707

When I'm just sitting in the water idling I hear a clunking that comes and goes as the boat bobs around in the water. It sounds like a pole knocking around in a bucket but at random intervals. I know it's not from the engine, it's coming from the pump assembly.

I checked the steering nozzle and it has play in it and if I move it around it clinks / clunks a lot. Everything is locked in place and tight. But this play makes for a noisy experience.

Are there bushings or something missing? Does anyone else have issues where the steering nozzle moves around and is very noisy at the mounting points?

Thanks!

Thanks for that link! Man I don't want to pull the pump again. Maybe I could just pull the front. If I don't do this, does it matter? This sound is only present at Idle. It just runs smooth, but sounds like someone is occasionally knocking a broom handle around in a plastic bucket. I just want it quiet and smooth lol

I also got new steering nozzle bushings yesterday and a reverse lever arm spring since the one I had in there was broken. This totally tightened up the pump parts and movement. The entire pump unit feels just like the new models. It's awesome!

You don't need to pull the pump to change the cone. Just need to remove the reverse gate and jet nozzle.

There is a bit of play with the impeller driveline, so this is common. This applies pressure to the impeller drive shaft so it stays pressed against the thrust bearing. Otherwise the bearing chatters when idling in neutral. I am assuming that you have the original cone without the spring loaded plunger.

You don't need to pull the pump to change the cone. Just need to remove the reverse gate and jet nozzle.

There is a bit of play with the impeller driveline, so this is common. This applies pressure to the impeller drive shaft so it stays pressed against the thrust bearing. Otherwise the bearing chatters when idling in neutral. I am assuming that you have the original cone without the spring loaded plunger.
I'll take a look at that tonight then. It looks like I'd have to remove the nozzle, reverse gate and venturi unit to be able to access and properly service the cone. I guess that's not all that bad. But I may do it because this idle rattle / clunk drives me up the wall.

@Spider4real Where did you find that part on OSD? I was going to order it the other day but it's not showing up. I also reached out to OSD and have not heard back. I can't find that new cone anywhere.

I posted a link to their kit in my previous post. Their Item 2301. The one you seleced is also good. Their Item 2302

I posted a link to their kit in my previous post. Their Item 2301. The one you seleced is also good. Their Item 2302
Ok great thank you! I'm going to order that deluxe kit right now. Still no work back from OSD in any of my inquiries so I'm just going to go for it. The only issue is if OSD isn't replying, they may take a very long time to fulfill the order, if ever.

This is what my cone currently looks like. Seems like the standard cone.
IMG_8777.JPG

Actually, I didn't order through OSD. Seems too sketchy like I'd place the order and wait a week or more before they don't have it in stock then it's back to square 1. The site shows "-1" as inventory, and the other shows "0". And since it's been over a week since contacting them through the form I don't feel comfortable placing the order.

I instead ordered this one form amazon. I included the cone oil as well. I should have that by Monday / Tuesday of next week.

This is what I got;
Cone:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WF939V
Oil:
Amazon.com : Klotz Sea Doo Synthetic Jet Pump Oil : Sports & Outdoors

OSD sometimes shows no stock but still ships right away. I never had any issues with them in the past. In my opinion they are one the best places around to get parts for older Seadoos.

Their website does say they are away August 23-28. I guess that's why you never heard back.

And FYI, you really can't see the difference between an old cone and a new one with the spring loaded plunger inside. It's the internals that are different. Have you ever taken the cone off before?

And FYI, you really can't see the difference between an old cone and a new one with the spring loaded plunger inside. It's the internals that are different. Have you ever taken the cone off before?
Ah! I missed that they were out! I didn’t know they were a small company. Well, I already ordered the one from Amazon so I’m hoping it’ll be fine lol

Yeah I did a full pump rebuild a few years back and replaced the wear ring at that time. Since then I probably have 12 hours total on it.

I don’t recall if there was a spring in there though. I guess I should start breaking it down in anticipation of the new parts coming in and I’ll report back what I find.

Seeing as the entire pump unit is working and as smooth as the new models with all new bushings and everything adjusted properly, I’m thinking this rattle I still hear has to be from the cone as you suggested. We shall see!

Well, I got the cone. And I was told that this would work if the boat had a Rotax 787, which it does so I proceeded with the order.

The circumference is not the same as what was on there, however the spring and bumper part seem to mate with the shaft properly. The bumper part is plastic so that's unfortunate. I guess even if it's plastic it should be fine since it's filled and covered with lubricant.

I went ahead and installed it. We'll see how it does tomorrow morning. If it causes cavitation because of the size difference then I'll wait for OSD to get back and order one through them. Doesn't bother me either way really. It's only a few bucks and the job is pretty easy.

Thanks again for telling me about these anti-rattle cones. I had no idea until you mentioned it.
IMG_8827.JPGIMG_8828.JPGIMG_8829.JPG

It looks a little funny. But I think it will be ok. You can't see it when you have it all back together anyway, so a long as it stops the rattle, that's all that matters. But let me know if it solved your problems. I know it made a big difference on mine. Cheers

It looks a little funny. But I think it will be ok. You can't see it when you have it all back together anyway, so a long as it stops the rattle, that's all that matters. But let me know if it solved your problems. I know it made a big difference on mine. Cheers
That did it! It sounds way smoother idling now. No more obnoxious rattling.

Also, I had some old sound proofing foam lying around so I rolled a few pieces up and fit them into the sides of the hull to keep most of the sound in the engine bay instead of resonating through the hull.

All in all, it sounds great now! Far quieter and smooooth.

Thanks again for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back