Installing Lowrance Elite 5 Fishfinder/Chartplotter on 2012 Challenger 210

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kparis14

Hi, I picked up a Lowrance Elite 5 GPS/ Fishfinder unit with and external transducer and will attempt to install next weekend. Has anyone done this on a Seadoo Challenger 210? My boat is a 2012.

So far, I have the Lowrance unit, a cool bracket I picked up from Tallon System that I will use to mount the unit to the dash with a RAM 1" ball mount. The bracket allows the unit to easily be removed when not using the unit.

Here are my questions:

1) how to wire the unit up for power under the dash? Do I need to add a fuse? Is there a particular accessory source I should tap into? What connectors do I need? The Lowrance unit simply has a red and black power cable with no tips on them.
2) Is there a preferred place to drill through the hull in the rear so I can run my transducer line through the hull? I've saw a photo of someone who drilled a hole to the left of the ladder in the back (as high as possible- above water line). They then ran cable through and sealed hole with 3M 5200 adhesive sealant on both sides (inside and out). They then ran cable down to the bottom of the boat on the exterior and mounted the transducer to the left of the drain plug on the left side. Sound right? Has anyone done this on their Challenger?
3) Once the cable is through the hull how did you route cable from rear along the drivers side to the fuse panel under the dash? I assuming I need a wire fish guide to move it along the inside of the hull.

I could really use some guidance from anyone who's gone through this before.

Thank you in advance,

Keith

I have an Elite 4 I bought last year, and never put it in. Wish I had more help for you on it. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Thanks.....I'll be glad to share pics of my install project once I get going.

Would love feedback from anyone...

So I purchased a product called - Stern Saver that mounts to the back of the boat with a special adhesive. It's basically a glue on polyethylene transducer mount (a 4" square block). The idea is you mount the block to the back of you boat. Let it set up for 8 hours. Come back and drill the holes for the transducer mounting bracket into the Stern Saver block- thus avoiding unnecessary holes into the hull below the waterline. It comes in several colors to match your hull. I picked up a white one.

Did some research on this and watched their video - makes sense to me. Has anyone used this product?

I can only speak from installing underwater lights.... I use 5200 and once it sets up you can not penetrate it and basically never remove it. I am confident in the use of 5200 with a rubber gasket on the backside would work great.

Decide to use a pro to install and set up. I'll post pics and details once done. Adding the Lowrance fish finder/GPS Chartplotter, a dual battery set up and replacing the 4 speakers (JL Audio) and adding a JL Audio Amp to power them.

i look forward to seeing pics. I have a hummingbird 688DI that i need to install and have the exact same questions. LOL.

So, other than running the power and transducer cable, what sort of questions did you have?

Does that boat have a fuse block similar to most other SeaDoos with a fuse block and common ground? I ran the power for my Lowrance right to that location with no issue. I guess the biggest issue I would have with your install would have been drilling in the hull and you fixed that problem with the block on the transom. I suppose you would still have to drill to get the transducer wire out.

Good luck, be sure to report back.

GEDC0003.JPGGEDC0001.JPGGEDC0002.JPG I just installed a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI in my 2008 Challenger 180. The power was run from the fuse block. The fuse block has about 6 open ports to add another power circuit. I installed the transducer on the starboard side of the transom and ran the transducer wire under the rub rail around to the starboard side of the hull until it reached near the the bilge pump out fitting. To hold the wire I used Teflon clips with stainless screws and silicone. There I drilled a 1 inch hole for the transducer plug to enter the hull about 20 inches above the waterline. I cut rubber washers and closed the hole with the washers and 100% silicone. I ran the transducer wire to the dash using a wire snake. I have a speaker on the inside of the boat which was removed temporarily to run the wire to the dash. The rub rail hides the transducer wire. I think it looks good and most importantly works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=67735]rcguy[/MENTION]

quick question, is the back of the challenger slanted like the back of a speedster? if i were to put mine in the same location, it would be aiming at the front left side of my boat (not forward). did you have the same issue, and how did you correct?

It is slightly slanted but you correct this with the adjustment on the transducer mount. You want the bottom surface of the transducer parallel to the sea bottom. Look at the picture I provided. The stainless transducer mount is not square with the hull. I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, last week I had a local installer come out to replace the factory speakers on my 2012 Challenger with 4 JL Audio MX 650 speakers- wow what a difference. 4 channel amp is going in this week. While there I had him install the Lowrance Elite 5 chart plotter/ fish finder and he did an amazing job.

We added a Tallon dash mount which provides a nice plug and play option. I'd highly recommend their mount. Can't beat their price and the fit and finish is high quality.

I'll post some pics when I can....

Nice install.

I just got a RAM mount for my Elite 4. I looked at it for the last time sitting on the shelf... and how poorly the stock mount fit anywhere. I figured with the RAM... it has a small mounting foot, and I can move it around.

I think I'm going to glue in my transducer.

I'll post up a few pics after I get it done.

If you have twin engines one of the pump plates should have a threaded hole used to run a speed/temp wire thru (factory install), my 98 sportster 1800 has one. Check and see if your speed/temp wire is routed thru such a hole on the pump plate, both plates should have that hole. One I'm assuming is not used as is the case on mine, run it thru there, you might have to make the hole a bit bigger depending on how big the connector is. I'm using a humminbird 797ci si and had to slightly grind down the hole to run the cable thru, I used a rubber stopper I bought at lowes in the hardware section to plug the hole, then used marine grade silicone to fill the hole on both sides. I connected the unit straight to the battery however, if you go that route you have to use an in-line fuse on the red cable, but I suggest you use one on the black cable too. Use the correct size fuse as stated in the user manual. As far as routing the cables you will have to use fish cable to make it easier to run the wires. When selecting the location you nee to know what the length of the cables are and avoid buying extensions. Hope this helps.

It is actually a moot point for me. I finally had time this morning to install the GPS unit and realized it is just way too big for my boat. It will not fit, the throttle and gear selector handles kill the area I wanted to use.

So I bought a Lowrance unit which is half the size and does not have the depth finder fish finder etc.. Just GPS and chartplotting. Which is what I wanted to begin with. I am heading to the Keys in 2 weeks and just wanted something to get me around. I am having a local captain take me out for the morning on my boat and show me around, show me the problem areas and set some way points in the GPS for me.

Then I get a week to play around and enjoy myself, dry docking in his Marina for a very reasonable price for the week.

Jims5543 what model Lowrance GPS did you purchase ? that's sounds exactly what I'm looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back