Hello and need some advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maciej

Hello all, first time poster, short time lurker. Seen some great stuff on here and I'm anxious to buy a jet boat. This will be a new experience for me but I've always figured I'd end up with a jet boat rather than a normal prop setup, just seems more fun.
Anyway, I'm looking for advice on which models I should be looking for. Is there a sticky detailing the engine choices/seating setups of the earlier models? I'm looking in the 96-99 range (due to price, $?-8k range), need to have room for 5 (wife and 3 kids) and need to be able to tow tubes, knee board, skiier (100-200 lb range). Right now I'm thinking the Challenger or Speedster, hopefully with 2 motors, would be my best bet. Am I correct in that these models have room for 5? It seems the Sportster only has room for 4? I get really confused looking at the ads on what engines come on what models in what seating configurations which seem to change by year? There are a couple of boats listed in relatively local ads (still a few hour drive) which look promising, a 1999 Speedster (2x110) and a 1999 Challenger 1800 (also 2x110), both around the $8k mark. What can I do buying online to try to find a good boat?
Do I need the 2x110 hp or would I be good with the single 110 for the above mentioned uses? How is the 2x85 hp setup, should I look for those as a better alternative to the single 110? Single 110 or 2x85 seem more common/available and can be found for $5000-7000.
Sorry for the long winded post but I need as much info as soon as possible. I've been looking at PWC for a couple months and now I only have a 3 weeks left to find something. I know you guys mention to keep looking for the right one but I want to enjoy a boat with the family this summer so I'm kind of on a tighter schedule.

Thanks for any and all input :)

Maciej

Family!....

I have a family of four. My wife and I with two daughters, one 7 the other 8. I use the 1997 Challenger, 14 ft. model.

It's got plenty of power to pull a tube, skier or wakeboarder. I can hit about 50 mph by myself on flat seas and a half tank of fuel. With the four of us in the boat, it leaves the forward jump seat empty.

This boat is really fast, easy to maintain and gets out of the hole fast.

I can't choose your boat, but throwing out a bit of info for you to think about. Twin motors, twin cost of maintaining. 1800 model Challenger, bigger, heavier, uses more fuel.....but, if you have a problem with a motor breakdown, you have another to get you home.

There are pros and cons on both sides of the equation. But for me, the smaller Challenger with the 110 hp engine is plenty good enough for us all, plus, with the price of fuel, fits my wallet just right.........

Once on a jet boat, you'll never go back to and I/O again.

I'm thinking the same thing about the fuel but I'm also worried about the fact that our boys are 13 and 14 and the 14 year old is already taller than me. They are both going to be big boys in the next couple of years :)
Any thoughts on a 1999 Speedster with the 2x110, 5 seats?
Where can I find specs on the older boats? Google searches don't seem to be too helpful for comparison purposes, info too scattered.

Thanks

Maciej

I have a family of four. My wife and I with two daughters, one 7 the other 8. I use the 1997 Challenger, 14 ft. model.

It's got plenty of power to pull a tube, skier or wakeboarder. I can hit about 50 mph by myself on flat seas and a half tank of fuel. With the four of us in the boat, it leaves the forward jump seat empty.

This boat is really fast, easy to maintain and gets out of the hole fast.

I can't choose your boat, but throwing out a bit of info for you to think about. Twin motors, twin cost of maintaining. 1800 model Challenger, bigger, heavier, uses more fuel.....but, if you have a problem with a motor breakdown, you have another to get you home.

There are pros and cons on both sides of the equation. But for me, the smaller Challenger with the 110 hp engine is plenty good enough for us all, plus, with the price of fuel, fits my wallet just right.........

Once on a jet boat, you'll never go back to and I/O again.

Ok, so I have a line on a 1999 Speedster, 2x110 hp (which I think was the only option?) at $7200. Looks good, although I know pictures can be deceiving, and unfortunately its about 8 hours away so dropping by for a look isn't going to happen. It seems good and the seller has good feedback on his other sales.
Any advice/things to look for when I take the plunge?

Thanks

Maciej

I am almost as new to this as you are. Just picked up my boat Saturday. I would recommend doing the same thing you do when you look at a used car. Have the owner take it to a shop to have checked out. For ~$100 a shop will give it a good once over. Then you will know the condition of the boat instead of just hope that all is alright. If there are small issues you can probably negotiate with the owner on the price then too.

Good luck!

Do a compression test as suggested on here. I wish I would have done the same. I'm now shopping for a new engine. Also, do a trial on the water if offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back