crankshaft locking position tool broke in the bottom end

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

seadootrouble

I'm riding a 2018 spark trix's , and the PTO stripped out of it. I bought the crank shaft locking position tool to lock up the crank and spin off the pto sleeve. I TDC'ed the second piston and installed the tool. I then slowly tried to turn the sleeve with a Pipe wrench and the crank turned and broke the tool.

what is my next step? how tough is pulling the motor and accessing the bottom end.

That's terrible. I worried about that exact thing when I replaced the output sleeve on my GTI 90. Was your tool the SBT brand? I ended up making my own with the correct sized bolt and grinding the correct angle on the end with the bolt in my drill press and an angle grinder to make the pointed tip. I applied heat to the old sleeve for a while before I tried to break mine loose. The procedure is surprisingly not in the service manual (at least for the GTI 90), which was disappointing because they probably mention heating it up first.

Were you able to get the tool out, with the tip broken off inside the engine? Does the crankshaft turn fairly easily right now? If so, you may get lucky and get the little broken piece to fall to the bottom of the case where you can get to it by removing the lower case cover on the bottom of the engine. You'll need to pull the engine though to get to that cover. Otherwise you will need to split the case which is a mission.

Back