Catalina..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

timmyboy76

wat up So-Cal, thought it be da sh**, to throw this out there, if anyone interested, to leave either from Huntington, Newport or Long Beach, for a day run to Catalina. Think'n, wouldn't take place til next month or June, but why not start a list, and/or any ideas, throw it out there....:cool:

what type of skis would make this trip? what is the distance ? i would be down for that trip. that sounds like alot of fun. i'm down in san diego but would gladly make the trip. definate keep us up dated !

1 down..

As long as i can remember, but sure they probably had chase boats, with this thread rok'n, dont see that being a problem, but, they (jetski association) holds a race to it and back, every year, so being that, dont see why the 2-strokers cant make it, atleast there.
Depend'n on the launch site, Long Beach is 20mile shot, where Newport and Dana Point is about 25-26 miles...strate shot, stud.

i'm rockin a 98 gsx ltd and my fav, my 96 xp. topped off, you think these skis would make it there ( fuel up there of course) and back ? from long beach that is. this would have to be an early morning ride for me, to keep the chop down, my two seaters gets tossed around a tad bit more than the big 4 strokers do lol.

one way to find out, stud...ROK IT.
Somewhere, on someone's site, they got fuel consumption on each ski..WOT, so, when find, i'll post it, so members if down, have idea of fuel/milage capacity.
I got 2-boats, so, i'm down for truk'n fuel on-board, and for depart'n, yeah, definetly early, and way back, few times been ther (charted boat), seem by 5-6pm, swells not narly, but keep you PINNED on the gas, to get the F home...:reddevil:

No disrespect to the mods/admin, but with this thread possibly get'n some attention, I feel this may be worthy/helpful...
None taken...!:reddevil:

Last edited by a moderator:
get some skis out there and let do this sh*t. good chance to try out my new go pro 5 wide angle camera.

get some skis out there and let do this sh*t. good chance to try out my new go pro 5 wide angle camera.

you know it...dude, that camera you talk'n about, is that same sh** that people mount up on there helmets. Out bomb'n the dirtbike and quads last weekend, and crazy-f*** had this sh*t, mounted on helmet, looked like the german arrowhead up there, ..bad though

thats the one. i have another one that i picked up cheap that i tried out today at glamis on my trx 330r and it wa sok. the go pro 5 wide angle blows it away. i'll bring the go pro for that catalina trip for sure. shoud get the trip there and back no problem.

thats the one. i have another one that i picked up cheap that i tried out today at glamis on my trx 330r and it wa sok. the go pro 5 wide angle blows it away. i'll bring the go pro for that catalina trip for sure. shoud get the trip there and back no problem.

GLAMIS, RITE NOW..................Faulker!
Eddie Sanders 330 kit?, (might be off w/ name), 88-89, best quad from what I hear..geometry/balance

Myself and a friend would be interested in joining in as we need some training runs in for the LB2CAT (Long Beach to Catalina Race) in July. And the more folks, the funner and safer it is. There is fuel at the Isthmus as well as Avalon.

On departure points, Newport is a great shot and bearing, but it takes 40 minutes to get out of the Harbor. I think Huntington is shorter.

If anybody else in Socal is interested in the race....the info is here on this site.
www.pwcoffshore.com
They just finished the Dana Point to Catalina....check out results and Videos.

yeah its the eddie sanders motor. its an 88 in an 86 frame. a real screamer. speedmon, any idea on how long it wil take to get from hungtinton to cat?

Myself and a friend would be interested in joining in as we need some training runs in for the LB2CAT (Long Beach to Catalina Race) in July. And the more folks, the funner and safer it is. There is fuel at the Isthmus as well as Avalon.

On departure points, Newport is a great shot and bearing, but it takes 40 minutes to get out of the Harbor. I think Huntington is shorter.

If anybody else in Socal is interested in the race....the info is here on this site.
www.pwcoffshore.com
They just finished the Dana Point to Catalina....check out results and Videos.

RITE-ON...yeah, Newports' a bit** to launch and wake out from, Huntington is about a 20min jot to open water, Dana Point, about 5min, but 25-27mile run to Catalina, havn't launched out of Long Beach, YET.

so you sayin that huntington beach would be the best route ? anybody know where i can find out about the fuel consumption for my 96 xp 800 and my 98 gsxltd ? wondering what mileage i can get out of my skis. wondering if i can get to the island without runnin dry.

so you sayin that huntington beach would be the best route ? anybody know where i can find out about the fuel consumption for my 96 xp 800 and my 98 gsxltd ? wondering what mileage i can get out of my skis. wondering if i can get to the island without runnin dry.

Huntington, WAY better than Newport, BUT..by the time we out in ocean water from Huntington, we'd be 1/2-3/4 way there, from Long Beach or Dana Point. I know, Dana Point, takes 5min to get out of marina and into DEE OCEAN.
For fuel consumption, check out my previos 2-3 post, found site, with all consuption for any ski.

well were looking at about 35 miles from dana point to avalon and newport to avalon is about 31 miles. even though the trip is longer i think dana point would be the route to take for me atleast. at WOT my xp is getting about 44 miles. i should make it there no problem. "should" make it there no problem lol. so chase boat huh ? whats your cruising speed? are we cruising there, hauling ass, both, any ideas ? this trip is sounding more and more awesome as the days go by. this will be the first trip of this size for me by FAR. anybody done it before ? how was it ? get beat up out there ? the swells wear you out ? looking for some insider info.

Meant to get back sooner.....but I had to work.
On time of day....the trip should be done in the morning...in minimum swell action, because yes it can get bumpy.

Its always good to have a chase boat.....for extra fuel and other things, not to mention safety just in case someone needs a rescue.

The big decision is when to come back......either before noon same day or the next day in the morning.....because the wind usually comes up after 2pm and creates bigger swells. Although I have seen some crazy folk ride behind the Catalina express in the late afternoon as it cuts a nice platform.

Out of Huntington....its about 28 miles from the mouth of the harbor, so at 30mph (not too fast) that should be about an hour. The fastest PWC Offshore guys go from Long beach to Catalina and back in under an hour.

I think we're planning on late may or early June.

is there anything required for this trip? besides the basics of course. anybody know some of the skis that have made the trip? a little woried about my smaller two seater.

is there anything required for this trip? besides the basics of course. anybody know some of the skis that have made the trip? a little woried about my smaller two seater.

dont trip, stud..not like theres gonna be SHARKS out there...:reddevil:
Guy i sold boat to, said him and his friends hit there during riding season on stand-ups. He got the boat, so his chick can tag-along.

out at Dana Point yesterday, launched around 2pm, and DAMN...swells were big, so, think'n the time leav'n, should be early, and back, cant see leav'n before noon, long trip, cool place, for 2-3hrs...:confused:, think'n more like 5-6..?

haha..."not like theres sharks up there"..oh man that cracked me up!..

anywho..im down to join.seems like everyones takin ski's...i have a 180c..which ive always wanted to take to catalina...

i have a few buddies with skis also which im sure theyd join also..

My grandmother lives in Seal Beach and I visit her 2 or 3 times a year and surf huntington.

My question is Where are you launching?

Not like Texas where you can pull your trailer up to the beach and launch.

Only place I can think of is Sunset beach at one of the harbors. I guess there are similar harbors on the south side of huntington?

Still sounds like a helluvalottafun:hurray:

Back