Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
52798312624_d83c6e597f_z.jpg

I picked up a free PWC a couple weeks back. It's got some age and historical significance in the jet ski world. 😁
The engine bay honestly looks cleaner than my SPX. Apparently this model is more reliable too since compression is naturally lower- any guesses what it may be?

I'm on the fence if I want to keep & restore it... need to keep focused on the SPX so this may just get tucked away until I have more time to tinker. Certainly will be scrubbing off the crud before storage- will make its own thread here once washed!

View attachment 61763

I picked up a free PWC a couple weeks back. It's got some age and historical significance in the jet ski world. 😁
The engine bay honestly looks cleaner than my SPX. Apparently this model is more reliable too since compression is naturally lower- any guesses what it may be?

I'm on the fence if I want to keep & restore it... need to keep focused on the SPX so this may just get tucked away until I have more time to tinker. Certainly will be scrubbing off the crud before storage- will make its own thread here once washed!
Looks like an old yamaha lol. VXR or waverunner

Last edited:
I’m going to guess an old Kawasaki, can’t think of the name, but the one that looks like it has a bench seat. I will search it up and post

View attachment 61763

23F363B1-0523-4814-8925-BEB434EDD06A.jpegKawasaki ts 650? Is my guess, second guess is a tigershark

Looks like an old yamaha lol. VXR or waverunner

52862700031_6277f99e32_z.jpg

Correct! it’s a 1988 Yamaha WaveRunner 500
That Kawi looks super funny to ride seated, good guess tho!

The WR500’s previous owner said it was running two years ago, last time it was registered was 2000. 😅
After it’s float tested I’ll repair/ replace fuel system components that tired out over the past 35 years. I’m hopeful it’s water tight-

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Since I plan to replace the SPX motor I feel it’s good practice to replace the carbon ring? Any recommendations on trusted, leak proof, brand or if it’s even necessary would be appreciated !

And my dudes I can NOT find the timing marks on the starter plate or surrounding housing on the old 657x motor. I’ve look close for any slight marking but nothing- I think I could just sharpie my own and triple check they align @ install..

*Edited typo in model year

Last edited:
View attachment 62012

Correct! it’s a 1998 Yamaha WaveRunner 500

The WR500’s previous owner said it was running two years ago, last time it was registered was 2000. 😅
After it’s float tested I’ll repair/ replace fuel system components that tired out over the past 35 years. I’m hopeful it’s water tight-

Since I plan to replace the SPX motor I feel it’s good practice to replace the carbon ring? Any recommendations on trusted, leak proof, brand or if it’s even necessary would be appreciated !

And my dudes I can NOT find the timing marks on the starter plate or surrounding housing on the old 657x motor. I’ve look close for any slight marking but nothing- I think I could just sharpie my own and triple check they align @ install..
That’s awesome Bowser, did you get the trailer with it for free? Nice looking trailer. I don’t know much about the Yamaha’s, don’t know if they had the deteriorating fuel line issue like the old Bombardier’s but it could be fun to see how cheaply you can get on the water? Could just add a little 2 stroke oil down each plug hole turn the engine over by hand a few times, then crank with plugs out and fuel off, drain the fuel tank, add fresh fuel pre mixed till you can verify oil injection is working, new plugs, a little pre mix down carbs a few times and see if it fires up? Either way congrats on the free ski,

View attachment 62012

and be careful, your about 1 pwc away from getting the sickness. Next thing you know you will be scouring the classifieds looking for good deals and have 5 of them in your yard

View attachment 62012

Wrong, maybe a 1988 they were not made in 1998 silly.

^^ Oops lol of all the places to have a typo! Yes, 1988 Yamaha WaveRunner 500G

That’s awesome Bowser, did you get the trailer with it for free? Nice looking trailer. I don’t know much about the Yamaha’s, don’t know if they had the deteriorating fuel line issue like the old Bombardier’s but it could be fun to see how cheaply you can get on the water? Could just add a little 2 stroke oil down each plug hole turn the engine over by hand a few times, then crank with plugs out and fuel off, drain the fuel tank, add fresh fuel pre mixed till you can verify oil injection is working, new plugs, a little pre mix down carbs a few times and see if it fires up? Either way congrats on the free ski,

Thank you for the motor testing refresher- I’ll use this method when it comes time to crank the engine. The fuel is premix on these models so all good there; I believe 50:1.
The trailer I repaired/restored last summer so I appreciate it ! I replaced a couple of the frame struts where it had rusted through, resurfaced the leaf springs, and reupholstered the bunks. It’s a solid small PWC carrier- on the drive back from picking up the WR500 it stayed planted on the road during a major thunderstorm.

The ol’ hobby bug has certainly bit me and I dig it 😎

Those 500's were gutless but pretty hard to kill.
I would go 40:1 on the premix just because it is probably pretty old and tired.

Glad it could help!

Ok I will mark the locations accordingly. I'll probably go one step further and snap pics for reference with sharpie indexing marks. Trying to make doubly sure the timing, torque specs, alignment, gasket adhesives are all accurate. o_O
I am in a similar situation with this 717gs that I bought, torn apart engine in a crate, can you post the pic you took for I can use as a reference start point.

Sure I'll take a pic of the flywheel magneto in relation to the housing. Could definitely see where a parted out motor would be tricky to make sure it's timing properly.
For the life of me I cannot find any manufacturer's timing mark on the armature plate so I will just chisel one on and sharpie another for sanity's sake.

Sure I'll take a pic of the flywheel magneto in relation to the housing. Could definitely see where a parted out motor would be tricky to make sure it's timing properly.
For the life of me I cannot find any manufacturer's timing mark on the armature plate so I will just chisel one on and sharpie another for sanity's sake.
Thanks, it's crazy to think there no timing marks made by Seadoo on crankcase

@Spoody6677 Here's a pic of the assembly on my 657x Rotax. Your results may vary though since you're working on a 717 motor.
Found the timing mark too!

53055527503_8e4ac5f35e_c.jpg

I returned to Gene's picture of the timing mark he attached earlier in this thread. Sure enough I found it on the 10 o'clock position looking at the above pic.

53055424480_b27f4c9313_c.jpg

Soo I guess I'll notch the armature plate adjacent to the factory notch and to be doubly sure take a sharpie across another edge to line it up when it comes time for assembly.

Thanks for asking Burt!

The SPX is to be continued- I need buy the replacement motor from SBT before proceeding but it's hard to part with that $1,000.

In the meantime I've mulled over replacing the carbon seal while I have access to it but don't know how to remove the sucker or if it's even necessary. Honestly I think I'll just leave it as is and if there's any water build up in the hull will look here first.

53583706406_688245ced3.jpg

Thanks for asking Burt!

The SPX is to be continued- I need buy the replacement motor from SBT before proceeding but it's hard to part with that $1,000.

In the meantime I've mulled over replacing the carbon seal while I have access to it but don't know how to remove the sucker or if it's even necessary. Honestly I think I'll just leave it as is and if there's any water build up in the hull will look here first.

View attachment 64962
That isn't a carbon seal. That is the old carrier bearing/seal design.
Give it a couple pumps of grease and it should be good to go.

Thanks for asking Burt!

View attachment 64962
What’s wrong with the current motor? Is the crankshaft still good?

That isn't a carbon seal. That is the old carrier bearing/seal design.
Give it a couple pumps of grease and it should be good to go.

Thanks for the correction 😅 Nice to hear it's easy enough.

@burtshaver2021 - The compression was really weak: 50 psi MAG cylinder, 100 psi PTO cylinder plus the crank case had alot of sludge in the bottom/ broken pulse line barb. I figured I'd start anew and replace the whole thing via SBT.
I assume the structure of the crank shaft is still good just entombed in a crusty engine block.

Back