acceptable oil pump wear?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

kmarts

Some history:

Bought a used 2006 RXT, no issues disclosed to me other than the owner said at some point he had the supercharger rebuilt.
Initial run had a problem with very low top speed and eventually overheated. Found and fixed that problem (heat exchanger and seal between it and hull).

After that was fixed on the next test ride i had a moment when i was coming off the throttle where i got a trouble code and went into limp mode. turned it off then back on, ran fine back to the dock but i took it slow anyways. Trouble code was for oil pressure, i assume low. Never had an issue again with it for the rest of the season but i didn't ride it all that much.

End of season oil change i found metal filings in my oil filter. I've been told that this is somewhat normal, but what i saw were larger filings than what i could find other people posting online.

My assumption was that the previous owner had a supercharger washer failure and only had the SC rebuilt and sold it to me as a grenade. I pulled the engine last fall with the intent to break it down and make sure i clean everything up and inspect for signs of metal in the engine.

I started breaking it apart and once i got the PTO cover off i could tell the engine had been opened.
Both oil pumps have been rebuilt and I can tell the rtv gasket on the bottom pan isn't factory.
I found no metal or pieces of washer caught in the pump screens or anywhere else so far.

So now my assumption is that there was a SC failure but the oil pumps were rebuilt as well as the supercharger.
The oil filter was also after market with no metal mesh, so maybe it's possible it collapsed when i backed off the throttle suddenly?

On the secondary pump, there is some deep gouging on the housing and I'm going to replace it.
On the primary pump there is something that made its way into the pump after the rebuild as there's a couple gashes on the pump cover.
I'll attach a pic, but i can't measure the depth, it catches a fingernail, should i replace this cover? rotor teeth and faces are all fine
Also noticed that the water pump impeller had been rubbing on the PTO housing cover and worn a small groove into it, is that normal?
Or did the person who rebuilt the pump not press the rotor shaft into the seal enough?

Wondering if i should rebuilt the primary pump at all or just reassemble this all?

Pump Cover:
20240424_133540.jpg\

Pump rotor, none of those marks catch a nail
20240424_133634.jpg

Looks like you need to replace your oil pump, primary and scavenge.

No, it's not normal for your water pump impeller to wear a groove into the housing.

Specifications and assembly instructions can be found in your specific service manual; it's available for download.

The manual nomenclature for the pumps "Oil pressure pump" inside the PTO cover, and the "Suction Pump" on the front of the engine.

Last edited:
Looks like you need to replace your oil pump, primary and scavenge.

No, it's not normal for your water pump impeller to wear a groove into the housing.

Specifications and assembly instructions can be found in your specific service manual; it's available for download.

The manual nomenclature for the pumps "Oil pressure pump" inside the PTO cover, and the "Suction Pump" on the front of the engine.
I have the manual, but I've seen a bunch of less than perfect pumps in service. I know it's not 'normal' but it was working fine before I took it apart aside from one oil pressure code. I was just wondering others experience on how imperfect it can be as the manual says any pitting, marring, etc... it needs to be replaced.

Doesn't matter much now anyways as I've rebuilt the primary and have the scavenge housing on order.

Thanks

Back