951 Starter Spinning - Starter or Bendix?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaarrEagle

Continuing the long running saga of trying to get my GTX DI running. I seem to have burned out the starter or bendix. It was turning over for a while but not sounding right, almost like the starter was quickly kicking in/out while it turned over. Now it just spins freely. I plan to pull the starter this weekend. Does this sound like a starter or bendix issue, and what should I be looking for when I pull the starter?

Pulled the starter today and it didn't look too bad. Some wear on it but I believe it is original so 20+ years old. The bendix, on the other hand, is toast. Metal shavings sitting around the starter hole and you can feel several missing teeth. It still spins but obviously needs to be replaced.

starter.jpg

metal.jpg

Did you remove the exhaust pipe to get to the starter? The bendix can be replaced without removing the engine. Check the bendix bearing in the engine casing and at least give it some silicone greese. Change the brushes in the starter while it is removed. Good Luck !!

Did you remove the exhaust pipe to get to the starter? The bendix can be replaced without removing the engine. Check the bendix bearing in the engine casing and at least give it some silicone greese. Change the brushes in the starter while it is removed. Good Luck !!
Sigh, not yet... i was able to feel the bendix through the starter hole. I am currently contemplating the poor life decision I made when I started this project almost 2 years ago. But I am committed to getting this thing running again! :crazy:

It's not that bad. I wouldn't recommend pulling the engine on a DI. Reason being you'll be disturbing a lot of connections. Pull the exhaust pipe and you'll be able to access the mag cover. remove the front motor mount completely, put a block of wood under the engine so it doesn't Han on the mounts and it will be easier to access everything with it lifted a tad. Don't loosen the PTO motor mount bolts. You'll need a PTO removal tool. Good luck !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back