45mph Top Speed on '96 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlamb1

My 96 GTX (787) tops out at about 45mph with 1 rider. I've heard and read it should be able to go 55mph, is that true?

I bought this a few months ago, so not sure if it was ever able to get up to +45mph. Since I've purchased I've rebuilt the carbs and rave valves, replaced the fuel lines and put new plugs in it.

Does topping out at 45mph mean there's an issue with the engine?

thanks

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
It could just need a wear ring. Check the compression on the engine to see how healthy it is.

sorry meant to mentioned i had the compression tested when i rebuilt the carbs and it was fine.

how can i check to wear ring? what are the signs that it needs to be replaced?

what rpm is the tach showing at 45mph? if its close to 7k, then it could be the wear ring, if its more like 6200-6300, then i would look toward your rave valves to make sure they can move smoothly and are clean. if the compression is 140+, the RAVEs are usually the reason for not hitting those last few rpms.

i want to say 6200-6300 but not 100% sure of that, I'll make sure to make note of it when I take it out this weekend.

thanks!

i want to say 6200-6300 but not 100% sure of that, I'll make sure to make note of it when I take it out this weekend.

thanks!

a good look at your RAVE assemblies now could probably save you a trip to the lake. pulling and cleaning them won't hurt anything, and you'll know they're in good shape. check the bellows for holes, or oil leaks around the housings. make sure the o-ring is on the shaft like it should be, and that nothing is melted. clean the guillotines with a wire brush and some brake or carb cleaner.

You should be turning 6700 to 6900 depending on the weather. My buddy has a healthy 96 GTX and it turns 6750 in the heat and will run 50 mph. I think he got 51 out of it in the spring time, but it was 75-80 out not 95-100. My 96 XP is the same way, but runs 56. His 98 GTX RFI runs 49 mph turning the same RPM.

Things to check
1. High speed needle settings in relation to the plugs. Might be rich....
2. Oil pump setting
3. Water regulator setting on the water box. It should be flush or just above flush. Ensure it is not leaking also. If it leaks it will dump to much water in the pipe at WOT.
4. Check the impeller. Someone could have put the wrong impeller in it at one time and its loading the motor down to much. Should be a 16/23
5. Also this will sound crazy, but run it with both seats off and see if it gets better. If it does you have a exhaust leak.

You should be turning 6700 to 6900 depending on the weather. My buddy has a healthy 96 GTX and it turns 6750 in the heat and will run 50 mph. I think he got 51 out of it in the spring time, but it was 75-80 out not 95-100. My 96 XP is the same way, but runs 56. His 98 GTX RFI runs 49 mph turning the same RPM.

Things to check
2. Oil pump setting
3. Water regulator setting on the water box. It should be flush or just above flush. Ensure it is not leaking also. If it leaks it will dump to much water in the pipe at WOT.
4. Check the impeller. Someone could have put the wrong impeller in it at one time and its loading the motor down to much. Should be a 16/23
5. Also this will sound crazy, but run it with both seats off and see if it gets better. If it does you have a exhaust leak.

excellent post... i was going to make a similar list,

but in reality, i don't think 55 is that easy to accomplish, your really looking for around 51-52mph and 6900ish the rpm's are definitely on the low side and is your speed reading on the speedo or gps...

Things to check
2. Oil pump setting
is this indicated speed or gps? Both of my skis will read 55+ with one showing 58mph indicated both digitally and analog. I know they are close because my wife got a warning after being clocked at 53mph and my other ski will walk away from it no problem.

Things to check
2. Oil pump setting

great list! I don't know how to check 1, 2 or 3 but I'll do some searching to figure it out.

thanks to everyone that replied, this is a great forum.

my 96 gtx is running about 49 right now but early this spring i was getting about 52

is this indicated speed or gps? Both of my skis will read 55+ with one showing 58mph indicated both digitally and analog. I know they are close because my wife got a warning after being clocked at 53mph and my other ski will walk away from it no problem.

Those are GPS speeds. The factory speedos are not accurate. My buddies RFI said I was going 56 when I owned it but gets 49 on the gps. We've had two different gps's in all of our boats and the gps readings are spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back