2007 GTI SE 155 starter bendix engagement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milehighguy303

My trusty 2007 GTI SE 155 remains very bullet proof, even at 280 hours, but I am a little frustrated by the starter bendix intermittently not engaging to turn the engine over and start. The ski is well-maintained and runs 60 MPH, so it still nicely compliments my (slower 58 MPH) 2021 GTI 170 - Ha Ha. Occassionally I will start the ski, and I will hear the starter spinning, but the bendix is not engaged to turn the engine over. Pressing the start button once or twice more gets the bendix engaged and I am off and running.

I have removed and cleaned the grounds - the negative cable is new, and removed/cleaned the three grounds on the front of the engine. Replaced the starter solenoid. The starter was replaced 2 years ago at the dealer with an OE starter. The dealer has load tested the YUASA OE battery, and passes voltage reading of 12+ and the battery is 18 months old. As a precaution to ensure battery charging effectiveness, I replaced the rectifier last year. I am pretty confident I am getting all the voltage I am supposed to at the starter, and the dealer has confirmed the stator is charging properly. Still has the original battery cable, and no corrosion is visible at the connections. All of these checks hasn’t changed the bendix performance, other than the starter was replaced well before the issue started. When it starts, the engine turns over at normal speed to start.

So the dealer feels the bendix is starting to fail fail in the PTO, and that I shouldn’t be overly worried about being stranded and I should ride and enjoy the ski, but my OCD in me is struggling to accept it, but not ready to pony up $ to pull the engine to find out. As I talk with a couple other well-experienced folks, they say they rarely see a bendix issue, even in skis at over 300 hours In a salt environment.

So I wanted to ask the experienced folks in the forum - Do you think there is anything that is left unturned or something that could be preventing the bendix from engagement? Or is it time to pull the engine and see what is happening in the bendix? Note: the engine/starter area was submerged with salt water last February, but I think the bendix was starting to act up prior to that, and I don’t think the water can really get into the bendix? But this event made me wonder…

Thanks for any advice or opinions…

Your well experienced friends are correct there are very few complaints of the starter gear not engaging and the shaft spinning. The starter gear has to overcome spring pressure using centrifugal force essentially climbing up the helix gear to engage. I would definitely suspect the salt water bath the bendix took prior to problem washed the the bending shaft and helix gear of lubricant causing corrosion and then friction not allowing the starter gear to overcome the spring pressure and engage.

OK… I was hoping that water was 100% or largely prevented from getting to the bendix area, or that there was some internal lubrication occurring. No way to try and lubricate by pulling the starter either? I appreciate the comments and ideas!

Yep I’m thinking the salt water got by the two o-rings on the bendix shaft or directly into the starter itself depending on how long it sat in the salt water. Looks like you have done everything except change the starter after the salt water bath. No rebuilding starter info in the service manual. I think I have read non OEM parts in the charging/starting systems is no bueno.

The engine usually stops at exactly the same position when you shut it off , sometimes the bendix won't engage because the teeth are starting to be ground away in that spot. Starters in most vehicles have an engagement arm and switch to help prevent the starter spinning before the bendix is engaged in the ring gear , not so in the rotax engines. The ratchet assembly in the bendix could also be damaged, bearings gone or the shaft is worn and it won't engage properly. The bendix is inside the engine and bathed in oil so water won't get to it , but yes the starter could be pooched but not likely if it's spinning and it's been doing it for sometime. If OCD is kicking in and the starter checks out then the only way to know is to take the PTO cover off and look inside, the bendix is not cheap to replace. I always solder my terminal connections , just to be sure. An easy way to check terminal connections is to crank it for 10 seconds while holding the throttle wide open, then see if any of the ends are hot, but I doubt that would be the problem here. Good luck.

Last edited:
I appreciate the additional info… All I know is what I can see and determine from the shop manual or diagrams, having never had the starter or bendix apart on a Seadoo. I have been tempted, even at $700+ to replace the starter, since it got a salt water bath last year when my jet pump hose clamp failed and I started filling the hull with water. But that is a rather pricey gamble, and I don’t know if it would likely help with starting. Pulling the engine and checking the bendix is probably $1200+. I just keep thinking that most people have not had bendix issues, even on skis much older and not as well cared for. So I wonder if another starter is a worthwhile effort - and I could do that myself if I got ambitious enough. I wouldn‘t attempt pulling my engine and PTO.

Digdog is correct, Bendix is inside the PTO housing and is bathed in oil. If saltwater made it past the 2 orings on the collar of the starter, you would have salt water in your oil. I just had to tear my engine apart to change the timing chain, so I had the bendix out of my engine. It has bearings in the PTO housing that the shafts ride in, it is possible those bearings went bad which would pull the bendix away from the ring gear. It's possible your starter is on the edge of the rotational speed/torque to get the bendix to engage consistantly, and getting salt water in the starter has made it worse. I would try the starter first, it is the easiest thing to do. I have seen starters for under $180 online. To get the PTO off, you are talking a lot of work, even if you don't pull the engine - you have to pull Jet Pump, shaft, you don't have a supercharger, so that's one less item. Check to see if there is a separate ground wire attached to the mounting base of the starter - make sure there is no corrosion there before you pull the starter.

Still in bendix denial… so I bought a new OE battery, just to see if it makes a difference. I will know the results by the end of the week. Although my dealer says the battery tests good for load and charge, I sometimes think it doesn’t hold a charge very well, so just another thing in my desire to not have to pull my engine. We will see…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back