2002 Seadoo gti le

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewing

Guys

I have been around small engines and motorcycles my whole life and am new, not only to lake life, but now jetskis. I have been thru the manual and it doesnt
give me the detail I need so here I am your mercy

Situation

First day out with both of my new (to me) jetskis. Both are the same 2002 Seadoo Bombadiers GTI LE. Neither had been used in app 1.25 years

Played some with the first one and found that after a little tweaking and and cleaning and normal spark plug maintenance, I had a dead battery. I had a battery so I changed it out and all was cool.

Second one, basically the same thing, I did not have a replacement battery, so I jumped it and rode it for about 30 minutes to see if it would take a charge from the system. We brought it in to the dock and turned it off, no good response from the battery, so I re-jumped it to bring it over to the launch to run out and get a battery and do the work. It started but would not idle. After the 3rd jump I realized I had turned off the gas line. So I turned on the gas line and in my haste crossed the positive and negative and blew the fuse.

I dragged the jetski over to where I could leave it and went to get a battery and some fuses

Upon my return with the battery and fuses, I changed them both out (turned on the gas) and now with when I connect my lanyard, I get one long beep.

I did the diagnosis of the DESS and the advanced self diagnosis. Every time I plug in the lanyard I get a single long beep. When I do the self diagnosis I get 2 short beeps. According to the manual this means that the MPEM cannot read the lanyard cap, magnet is defective, or mixed wires at the switch connectors or bad connections. Given the situation, I do not see the mixed cables as being a possibility, I dont find the magnet being defective as likely

As a newbie I do not have the MPEM reader / tester and am hoping, that someone out there might be able to give me some direction

MEWING

Well, I don't KNOW for 100% sure...but
1) don't jump start jetskis....that's ALWAYS a definitive no-no
2) switched battery leads and blew fuse..which one?
3) if the mpem doesn't suddenly recognize your key (you are using the right key for the ski?)....I wonder if switching the battery leads and blowing the fuse somehow wiped out the mpem memory of your key...only option there would be a dealer to re-program the mpem to your key(s) and I'd have all your keys cross programmed to each ski so any key would then work....on either ski
4) if you are doing the ADVANCED Self-Diagnostic and getting the 2 short beeps...the mpem has lost the memory of your key....key(s) would need to be re-programmed back into the mpem
5) the only "other" option I can think of is you have a wiring issue caused by the switched battery leads (perhaps)...did something short out/burn...check wires and connections to mpem, lanyard switch, etc....

Well, I don't KNOW for 100% sure...but
1) don't jump start jetskis....that's ALWAYS a definitive no-no
2) switched battery leads and blew fuse..which one?
3) if the mpem doesn't suddenly recognize your key (you are using the right key for the ski?)....I wonder if switching the battery leads and blowing the fuse somehow wiped out the mpem memory of your key...only option there would be a dealer to re-program the mpem to your key(s) and I'd have all your keys cross programmed to each ski so any key would then work....on either ski
4) if you are doing the ADVANCED Self-Diagnostic and getting the 2 short beeps...the mpem has lost the memory of your key....key(s) would need to be re-programmed back into the mpem
5) the only "other" option I can think of is you have a wiring issue caused by the switched battery leads (perhaps)...did something short out/burn...check wires and connections to mpem, lanyard switch, etc....
Thanks for your help
I did go to a dealer and he thru the reader on it and found the key was no longer readable. Bad magnet or something. Ended up being a coincidental

I hate those Thanks again

I was told about that when my DESS post gave up four years ago but this is the first time someone confirms that a key can really go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back