You wont believe this but Ill tell you anyway

Just to be on the safe side I took off an aftermarket voltage regulator and installed a new OEM seadoo one in my 2000 GTX/RFI since I know they are a point of failure. Verified by GPS my ski gained 10mph. before top speed was 49mph. Now its 60. I am pretty sure the Rave Valves operate via vacuum but now there is a definite boost at 5500rpm almost feels like a turbo. Never noticed that before. So could a new voltage regulator make that much difference ?

Yes, a a bad one will feed AC voltage to the MPEM and cause all kinds of strange things to happen.

2000 RX 947 Carb. (130hp) 59mph GPS. I could let my wife be the judge. She rode this ski and said, "You gotta hang on that ski." :D

RX Grahics (9).JPEG

Fastest I've seen on my spx is just under 58 and that has an intake grate and some kind of Solas concord prop on it. And that was on glass with a 1/4 tank and going with the tide. Also was done with a free gps speed app on my phone lol

Outside air temp and viscosity of the water as well as glass or light chop will all affect speed and max RPM. I've tested in all those conditions. Nowhere did a GTX ever get more than 52mph on the GPS and mostly 49-51mph. 951 GTX with 20 more HP generally run 55mph. I believe the highest RPM I've seen on a RFI was 6919. The only time I've seen more than that RPM on a ski was with a bad wear ring. Speed is nothing more to me that a performance verification that all systems are working.

Radar proven over and over again.... GTX 787 is low 50's.
Only Stock Seadoo Skis to crack 60 mph were the 951 powered 2-seters.
SPEED & RPM INFO
96/97
GTX
Stock* – 10 Hours

52.2 mph / 6820
Limited Kit*
54.6 mph / 6930
Sleeper Kit*
57 mph / 7060

Even 951 GTX's were 57-58mph stock.

@mikidymac Where ya been man??? Vacation?? :D

On a side note, I live about 100 miles from the poster and I thought about taking my RX up there and compare our 60mph skis. :D :D

@mikidymac Where ya been man??? Vacation?? :D

On a side note, I live about 100 miles from the poster and I thought about taking my RX up there and compare our 60mph skis. :D :D
Been sick.
But friendly competition is always good. Also would be a great opportunity to put two forum members together and enjoy the skis we are all addicted to.

IF YOU have been around cars, boats or jet skis, you will know there are always variations in speed and power despite supposedly being identical. There is no rational explanation but I have seen it several times. The one that stood out the most was a 409 CI 1962 chevy that constantly ran in the 13 second range at the local drag strip. Heavy car with a truck engine turning that speed sounds impossible and the engine was taken apart and inspected each week and found to be completely stock. It did finally blow up after about 2 months.

Fun while it lasted . After 14 hours of running great took it out for a quick ride at the lake . Ran great for 30 seconds ( idling out of no wake zone ). The would barely get over 4400 rpm and was missing and sputtering. Will start the diagnosing process over again. ☹️
Just for peace of mind a new regulator and solnoid was installed about 3 hours ago. Been feeding it fresh non -ethanol fuel .

The reason why this is impossbile is that Seadoo adds a 130hp engine and the hull gains 5 maybe 6 mph. Same hull. I've restored a variety of these 2-strokes. I know the top speed before I put them in the water. You may see different speeds based on the conditions and temperatures. The ski mentioned above (110 hp) run 52mph.... maybe. I have 2 Carb GTXs and I keep them in shape. The other day I achieved the top speed on the GPS of my 1996 GTX 51mph on the GPS. It can hold 50mph but not 51. 10 more mph... I'll call BS every day.

Oh the weight, I have not noticed my wife's GTX slow down even the smallest amount due to weight. Her ski was faster than mine by maybe 1.5 mph. We were both wide open for a couple of minutes.... she came by me a usual and had a second rider. I tried a full tuck, shifting my weight... nothing mattered. She was carrying an extra 130 pounds.

Last edited:
Fun while it lasted . After 14 hours of running great took it out for a quick ride at the lake . Ran great for 30 seconds ( idling out of no wake zone ). The would barely get over 4400 rpm and was missing and sputtering. Will start the diagnosing process over again. ☹️
Just for peace of mind a new regulator and solnoid was installed about 3 hours ago. Been feeding it fresh non -ethanol fuel .

If the ski was indeed screaming which a 2-stroke will do if lean... you now need an engine. Fuel keeps them cool. Good Luck !!

IF YOU have been around cars, boats or jet skis, you will know there are always variations in speed and power despite supposedly being identical. There is no rational explanation but I have seen it several times. The one that stood out the most was a 409 CI 1962 chevy that constantly ran in the 13 second range at the local drag strip. Heavy car with a truck engine turning that speed sounds impossible and the engine was taken apart and inspected each week and found to be completely stock. It did finally blow up after about 2 months.

That experience is not uncommon in automotive but it isn't a mystery why it is so. Build quality deviations sometimes result in performance gains and they also result in performance loss. I've been around engines all my life, cars, motorcycles (including road racing) , airplanes, and everything else. I read and hear the same stories. I really don't care but I respond to outrageous claims for the benefit of those that might be duped. I wouldn't advise anyone to waste a a dollar trying to upgrade performance on these skis but I realize it is a hobby and people like to play which is their right. :D It makes it funner.

GPS is the only way to determine correct speed on any kind of watercraft.
These speedometers are quite “ happy”

Check the fuel filter under the hood. I had a similar issue but once I cleaned the filter, my 96 GTX ran perfectly.

Back