Xp di issue

wiytboi

Ok so picked up an 04 xp di. Had low hours on it. Obviously was garage cause it looks new. So on trailer, it would start run, but when throttle it and it would die and wouldn't start back up for a while. So I reached in and shook the fuel filter really good. And then it seem to act normal.. start, throttle, it would return to idle and idle. Kill it, start it, kill, start. Was fine it seemed. Saw 6k on a rev. Seemed fine.
ok, checked the fuel pressure any ways and 27psi with lanyard on, start and it showed 100psi rev it and needle on guage start jumping from 80psi to 100+ psi. Never settles tho just jumps. not lower then 80psi, not over 115psi.

So I started few more times and starts with out a hiccup, (and this is with hose water connected fyi) sounds great, and revs fine. So I decide to toss it in the water.. starts up fine and take off and I'm doing like 3500rpms, feels like limp mode/or 1 cylinder. So rode it to my dock and made it doing 3700rpms probably on 1 cyclinder. Shut it off and try to start and starts runs for a sec and dies. Does this for like 15mins. Tell finally it started and ran same as it was, so put it on dock and here I am.

So I know there notorious for fuel pump issues. And I do have a parts ski with pump.. just wanna make sure I'm headed right direction? Anyone know of anything else I should be looking into first?

Also what suggestions on using used pump out of my other ski? or should I look into aftermarket pump?

Thanks guys

Compression is good about 115psi and got spark on both cylinders. I hate throwing parts at things but so far only thing I'm seeing as odd is the fuel pressure. when running jumps from 80psi to 110psi. Never Settles. Constant jumping. So im gonna swap it with a spare pump I have and pray while im doing it.

Can you put another guage inline? that will tell you if it is the pump or the guage.
Honestly, 1115 is starting to get on the low side...do you have a good compression guage, cheap ones don't read well. problems start arising when you get on the low side.......sometimes.

Ok swapped pumps pressure tested and this is results.. so this normal or no?
Google Drive: Sign-in.
I'm gonna test ride soon as I close it back up.
Can you put another guage inline? that will tell you if it is the pump or the guage.
Honestly, 1115 is starting to get on the low side...do you have a good compression guage, cheap ones don't read well. problems start arising when you get on the low side.......sometimes.
I do have another I use for automotive. I bought this set cause it had the tadaptors with it. So ill run up to the house grab my other guage. Think I might order a guage just to leave in line like I do on my cars.. kinda pain to get to fuel lines. Ok be back shortly with results of pressure test different guage.

Ok see if this link works. I check with another pressure tester but was only 100psi 1 but it bounced still looked like 90-110 was range of bouncing.
Is this normal? So if fuel pressure no lanyard is 27psi that means fuel pressure reg is working, so if fuel pressure while running is bouncing then the air pressure reg is the problem according to the manual.. is this correct?

Ok not sure If that's normal but I finally grabbed a set of plugs and now she's ripping like a pro again. Thanks for the help grim. Really really appreciate ya.. 🙏

Compression is good about 115psi and got spark on both cylinders. I hate throwing parts at things but so far only thing I'm seeing as odd is the fuel pressure. when running jumps from 80psi to 110psi. Never Settles. Constant jumping. So im gonna swap it with a spare pump I have and pray while im doing it.

those needle always bounce around,,, doesn’t 115 psi seem low’ish?

Motor hadn't been run it a while. It rips now tho.. faster then my other one.. ill recheck compression now that it's been run and lubricated. Thanks for info on needle bounce tho.. figured it was a bad thing.

It could be jumping on the pressure tester if there is trapped air on the Tee of the pressure rig?

Also if your getting 27psi then problems are you start it sounds like a bad air compressor or air regulator.. have you checked the air pressure?

Check air pressure? Book says if I'm getting 105 on fuel pressure while running then fuel systems ok.. its fixed now anyways. So it ended up going back to how it was after running ok for 2 days. It would go full throttle and slowly lost power tell it was having problems starting. So I went with my initial gut instinct and swapped out the fuel filter from my parts one.. all fixed rips like a beast.. very happy with it..

Back