Xp 95 new starting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuenta

Hi I have a seadoo xp 95 model I've been having problems with starting it.
WILL TRY TO EXPLAIN
WHEN HIT THE START BUTTON
the starter motor TURN but stops MAYBE TURN FOR 2 SECONDS
and only heard the sound as the solenoid
AFTER SEVERAL TIMES THE SKI START
I REPLACE THE STARTER SELENOID BUT STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
NEW BATTERY

THANK GUY

did you check battery cable connections both poss and neg on both ends both battery and @ starter ends and solenoid make sure they are clean free of corrosion and tight. make sure the cables themselves are in good condition with no corrosion. try jumping the solenoid and see if that improves.

Get battery load tested.Could be battery is charged but cells are dead and will not give you enough CCA to turn motor over more than once/twice.

If battery checks out go though cables like mentioned above.

If starter getting hot or smoking its time for new one or rebuild.
Pm 9spxxx or minnetonka4me for a good used OEM one should be under 50 bucks

I just jump the solenoid and did not make difference
apparently the starter motor has no force to move
but sometimes works!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure sounds like the starter. Pull it out, pop it open & take a look at the brushes. Chances are they are just about gone.

the starter isn't too bad to pull on that ski. You'll need some long extensions tho. The bottom 13mm bolt is the only tricky one.
Easy to get it out, can be tricky to get it back in.......

thank guy
tomorrow I will pull the starter
and take a look

Last edited by a moderator:
While you are doing the job. Remove all the cables, wire brush them, put dielectric grease on them and then put them back on. Poor connection is a HUGE issue on our skis. This plus rebuilding your starter should do the trick. Assuming your battery is good to go.

One simple thing, when you rebuild the starter mark the case and ends and reassemble exactly the same way you took it apart, if you don't you could get a starter that spins in the opposite direction. Don't ask me how I know. Other than that you should not have any problems.

Lou

yes have a new battery
is like the bendix not engaging
only spins

Is your starter an OEM (white) or aftermarket? The bendix on the OEM's dont typically break, but some of the aftermarket ones are known to break. Is the starter always spinning and not engaging or is it spinning only some of the times when you hit the start button?

I didn't realize it was spinning. I thought you had nothing but a click. Bad assumption on my part.

I'm with Tonka, you probably either have a failed aftermarket starter, or a moisture infiltrated mag case.
While the brush replacement is still a good idea, that's not going to fix your issue. You need to pull it out & see what you have.
Hopefully its not full of rust, because that means other parts in the housing probably are too.

just removed the starter
watch ....

1.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

[video=youtube;KB2eeKLwI7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB2eeKLwI7s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

my best guess is it was just slightly stuck before. The one brush is pretty wore out. But as you said it wasnt engaging before.

Very obvious there is or was water in the mag housing. I would pull the cover off and clean it up, dry it out if its wet, then put a little rtv on the seal. Also rtv on the starter. make sure to lube the shaft, but dont spray anything into the bendix clutch.

Also the bendix gear should only spin one way, so hold it by the big part of the bendix and turn the gear. Should turn one way but not the other.

but is normal that the bendix shift out.
only one second
or need to stay in front????

anyone have a video of how it should work properly

Yes it is working properly right now per your video.

Forget a rebuild kit my used oem will be cheaper and won't have a output shaft that is going to cause you problems in the future.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Forget a rebuild kit my used oem will be cheaper and won't have a output shaft that is going to cause you problems in the future.

x 1,000,000,000

The bendix gear only stays out while its engaged to the flywheel. Once the motor starts to spin on its own the pressure is relieved and the gear retracts as you see it doing. If not it would stay stuck the the flywheel all the time.

Yes, I also agree, but personally I would put new brushes and holders in the used OEM starter, or have Nick do it for you. It's cheap and and it only takes a few minutes.

Lou

The bendix gear only stays out while its engaged to the flywheel. Once the motor starts to spin on its own the pressure is relieved and the gear retracts as you see it doing. If not it would stay stuck the the flywheel all the time.

I order a new starter

problem solved

the old starter was weak
put the new starter and turn the engine everytime

thank guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back