Would this be a good trade for my GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage

Premium Member
Premium Member
Long story short. I met a guy last weekend that has a 98 GSX with the 951 silver motor. The ski and trailer look almost perfect. I rode it and it def needs some fine tuning....but OMG was that thing fast....67 on the gauge... Mine usually does 43-44 mph and takes a few to get there. The reason he wants to trade is he is a very big guy, and the GSX is pretty much impossible for him to ride, and if he fall off he def cant get back on it. So we traded for a few on the water and he rode my GTI just fine and even got off out in the water and back on no problem. I love having a big 3 seater, but I also had a blast with all that power. I'm kinda torn on what to do? Any input would be great!! :cheers:

That's why you need more than one ski.

I have a stand up to get wet with... I have my Si to throw around, and ride it like a stand up... but I can sit down... and I have my MONSTER Genesis (4 person) for when I want to go fast, and have SUPER stability. (it's a 1200cc triple)

Oh... then I have the boat for when the entire fam wants to go out, and not really get wet. :D

It is a hard decision... but you can always get a new 3 seater next spring.

Happy family:cheers:

32.jpg

308.jpg

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but the 951 engine has had a bunch of known problems, including pistons breaking with only a couple hundred hours.

The GSX is an awesome ski, But I wouln't want one with the 951. Now if it was a 787, It would definitly be worth the trade assuming you don't need/want the 3-seater.

The 717 engine in your GTI is a MUCH more reliable engine, the ski may not be as fun to ride, but atleast it's reliable.

I'm not trying to be the negative nancy or anything, But *I* would want to know this information if it was me..

-TheChad

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input. Is his ski worth more then mine? Both are in very good shape. Maybe trade and sell this summer and make a few bucks.

That's why you need more than one ski.

I have a stand up to get wet with... I have my Si to throw around, and ride it like a stand up... but I can sit down... and I have my MONSTER Genesis (4 person) for when I want to go fast, and have SUPER stability. (it's a 1200cc triple)

Oh... then I have the boat for when the entire fam wants to go out, and not really get wet. :D

It is a hard decision... but you can always get a new 3 seater next spring.

Happy family:cheers:

32.jpg

308.jpg

Do you have a road train to get them all to the water lol

I would make the trade. I love the speed. I have a 98 GSX Limited and it does go fast.

As far as the 951 goes... take care of it and it can be reliable. It definitely has a shorter lifespan than the 717 & 787 engines, but as Chester's sig suggests..speed costs money!

Know the common issues with the 951 and make sure you do your best to keep an eye out for them.

Also, just in case you do a compression test on the GSX, the '98 951 engines seem to come stock with a slightly lower compression. The earliest 951s, the '98 white engines are around 135 psi and the '98 silver engines are around 140 psi.

I would make the trade. I love the speed. I have a 98 GSX Limited and it does go fast.

As far as the 951 goes... take care of it and it can be reliable. It definitely has a shorter lifespan than the 717 & 787 engines, but as Chester's sig suggests..speed costs money!

Know the common issues with the 951 and make sure you do your best to keep an eye out for them.

Also, just in case you do a compression test on the GSX, the '98 951 engines seem to come stock with a slightly lower compression. The earliest 951s, the '98 white engines are around 135 psi and the '98 silver engines are around 140 psi.

Thanks for the info. Is it really worth more then mine? I would maybe trade then sell it for a nice GTX 3 seater. I'm so torn, and he wants to know before the weekend so he can make plans.

Well it seems to me, that the faster the machine goes, the more monetary value you get for it.

Look at all the models of all PWC makers. The entry level machines are always the slowest.

You certainly could do the trade and then sell it come spring-time and use your profits to buy a GTX 3 seater. You would have all winter to work on any issues that are cheap to fix (gray fuel lines, etc.) and then advertise as "FAST!!" come spring.

You may find that you do not want to sell it though!

Also, to add to what I previously said... I personally would not buy a GTI (too slow) and would pay more to have a fast machine.

Just make sure that the two machines are in comparable shape!! Then I think it would be a steal!

Yeah his machine is almost perfect...except it has a idle problem and when you hold the throttle mid way it just kinda holds a steady bog..then out of know where it takes off like a bat outta hell, and is hard to start after it is warmed up. I pulled the plugs and one plug was more oily then the other...but not real bad. His trailer is really really nice, it matches the ski and looks perfect. So I have been thinking about pros and cons of the trade.

Pros on mine....It runs perfect, and I have ton of time into it. Also very easy to work on. I have done all this to mine........well Capt Scale has done allot of it and taught me along the way

Carbs Rebuilt
Fuel lines, and fuel valve
New Steering cable
New throttle cable
Had the 4 freeze plugs welded
New wear ring
Changed jet pump oil
New drive shaft
Prop reconditioned
Jet pump complete rebuild
All new motor mounts
New Starter
New carbon ring and boot.
New Speedo sensor
I also wet sanded the whole ski and polished it.

The cons on mine.....Its to damn slow..and my trailer sucks.

Pro's on his....Its worth more...really fast..very clean..super nice trailer.

Cons on his...Looks really scary to work on...needs some work...very small...and I know no history on it....and neither does he...he traded a 4 wheeler for it.

if you didnt do those things to your ski, on a "sale" value, couldnt get a hundred buks for it.

His ski, with it "stuck" at mid throttle, that tells me, the raves are stuck. Clean them up, install new plugs, and go rip around. If it runs great, i wouldnt go wrench'n on it, let it be til next summer/sell now, and find u a 97gtx.

Are you high?

O.K... get down off the high. Speed seems to do these things to people. If you trade, you want me to tell you what the first thing is your gonna miss...? The reverse and neutral capability. Sure, the GSX is fast, but speed isn't always about everything. Comfort, stability, storage, long distant trips... there are so many more things you can do with the three seater. You can even be a daredevil and take it out and jump wakes. It's just not a speed rocket.

Yeah, the 717 is not a super fast motor, but for fuel efficiency, and reliability, you can't beat it. Believe me, if you think that speed is a thrill, wait till it hits your wallet!......

The 951 is a gas guzzler. I have the 97 GTX and wouldn't trade it for nothing. It does have the 787cc engine, which does give me the power to go fast, but it also causes me to stop by the gas station a bit more often if I stay in the throttle. I use more fuel when pulling a skier or tube, but if I just cruise, half throttle or so, the fuel will take me a long way. My Info center has a peak speed recording and it shows that at some point, I've hit 61 mph. That's from a dream-o-meter, but I don't have a GPS.

Rethink the speed issue. Also, if you feel a stumble, or something not quite right in the way it's running, you should be a bit weary. You know your GTI inside and out, how much do you truly know about his GSX....

Get off the buzz.... Really think this one out. Don't make a decision in haste. Expecially if he's the one pushing it. Think about the pro's and con's.... Oh, yeah, his is worth more than yours dollar wise. But the value will increase and decrease according to condition........:cheers:

Thanks again everyone. I forgot about the reverse thing...also I want to fish off mine...soooo I think I will just keep mine for now...I would rather have piece of mind then speed. I either will sell mine for a GTX, or just wait till tax time and buy a GTX!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again everyone. I forgot about the reverse thing...also I want to fish off mine...soooo I think I will just keep mine for now...I would rather have piece of mind then speed.

Sounds like a good choice.

I think in the future when you are ready/able to upgrade a GTX with the 787 would be a great upgrade for you. The 787 while not a whole lot bigger than the 717 has quite a bit more power and is just as reliable as the 717.

-TheChad

Sounds like a good choice.

I think in the future when you are ready/able to upgrade a GTX with the 787 would be a great upgrade for you. The 787 while not a whole lot bigger than the 717 has quite a bit more power and is just as reliable as the 717.

-TheChad

I rode Capt Scales GTX, and I love the power. I think that will be plenty for me.

Well after much thought. I decided to ride his again......and I'm going to trade. I'm not keeping it though. I think I will be able to sell his for more and get the GTX I want. I cant get enough out of mine to get a GTX.

Right now is the time to buy. people who didn't ride much will sell cheap insead of wanting to store it all winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back