worn impeller splines

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoomoneypit

So i recently rebuilt the top end of my 94 seadoo xp and just finished breaking it in. After tuning the carb I noticed the ski would not move and the was making a terrible noise.I instantly jumped off the boat and swam it back to shore. I took my jet pump and drive shaft out to realize my impeller was stripped and my drive shaft was worn. I am guessing this was a long time coming because the ski did always rattle from the jet pump. What would cause the impeller to strip the splines? would a more frequent jet pump oil change prevent this? Would this be an re-occurring problem for times to come since it happened once?

Thanks for the help Vince

im no expert but i think this is just from normal wear and tear. I see your ski is an older, so it may have never been changed before. the rattle you hear is common in older skis. they do make an anti rattle kit you can put in them but i have hear mixed reviews on these kits. i know there is an grease fitting at the pto on a lot of skis but not sure if yours has it or not. If i was you i would replace both the shaft and impeller so you dont wear out a new impeller spline with a wore out drive shaft spline.

We had this happen on out Yamaha back in the day, they told us it was from not letting off the throttle when jumping, and the load hitting the pump when it comes back in the water.

How was the seal that goes between the impeller and driveshaft? Also how were the rubber bumpers? Another thing you may want to check since you just put the motor in is your jet pump alignment. When you go back together make sure you use a good marine grease on the splines and have a good impeller seal and good driveshaft bumpers.

Yes. Right where the drive shaft goes into the impeller should be a plastic ring over top of a rubber boot. It seals the grease in and water out.

So there is something wrapping around the driveshaft and the impeller at the connecting point? I did not see anything like this when i took the pump and drive shaft off. where could i get a part like this? can i post pictures?

Are you talking about the boot that goes on the fly wheel side of the driveshaft? i cant seem to find anything near the driveshaft/impeller unless it was destroyed somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back