World Cup

hfgreg

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Anyone watching this USA Portugal game? Wow, it has been an exciting one.

I was, I also TiVo'd it so I can finish it later. CReynoldsmiz is also, probably at the bar I guess via the texts, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yawn............

Huge fan huh? truth be told I am just a sports fan.. not really a soccer fan. But I love seeing the top athletes in the world compete against one another in any sport.

My son's new Rio final replica ball for the up coming fall season. I'm torturing him by making him wait to use it.

443.jpg

The ref notes when an injury occurs and that time is added to the game, there are many reasons for adding extra time (like celebrating a goal, time is added), the clock never stops. I think that is the correct explanation, maybe. To many rules in sports to remember, lol.

Racer if your living in a box and still haven't finished watching it than stop reason right now....lol.

I can't believe we didn't win. I am not a soccer fan by any stretch, although I watch more than I used to because our team here, Sporting KC, has two players starting for the USMNT and we won the MLS cup last year, we have an amazing new soccer only stadium to boot.

That being said, what a pass and header by Ronaldo to tie the game for Portugal in the last 30 seconds. I only watch because I like rooting for the US no matter what sport it is, but man we blew that game. It's crazy how nonchalant the players were after it ended, ties in sports is ridiculous.

Soccer has dumb rules as well, like stoppage time. Racer is right about the celebrations, but it also accounts for time spent for substitutions and running down balls out of bounds and injuries on the field as well. I don't get why they don't just stop the clock, makes more sense to me than adding time back.

Oh and I wasn't at the bar, but I wish I was after that one lol. I had a mass message of "Merica'" I was going to send out to everyone on my phone after the win, but that's why they play to the final whistle.

Urg

The ref notes when an injury occurs and that time is added to the game, there are many reasons for adding extra time (like celebrating a goal, time is added), the clock never stops. I think that is the correct explanation, maybe. To many rules in sports to remember, lol.

So.... it always befuddles me that they just don't oh I dunno... STOP the clock like all other normal sports??? It seems somewhat arbitrary and a little too subjective for my liking. :patriot:

USA Germany game in 20 minutes. All USA needs is a point to advance.

Yes, you're right. I thought USA needed a tie or better. I guess another country knocked off another to help us. So we extend the misery for another game......I hope they play better next game.

They should make the field smaller and put up 10 foot side boards to bounce the ball off like in hockey. :)

I was flying home west coast to almost east coast. TV is free in First Class.. The flight attendants said that many bought the Direct TV and were watching the game...

Yes, you're right. I thought USA needed a tie or better. I guess another country knocked off another to help us. So we extend the misery for another game......I hope they play better next game.

:)

Actually the US is playing very well. Germany is one of the favorites of the tournament, and we were very close to scoring an equalizer. Also, we have done very well against Portugal, another powerhouse in the international soccer arena. For a nation where soccer is barely played and followed, we are doing great and are able to run with the big dogs, like the European teams who can really kick ass. Don't forget we were in one of the toughest groups with Portugal and Germany. Beautiful passing, goal chances and a nice, open game. Regardless what happens next, I'm proud of our team. Belgium is going to be another tough game for us. So far, we only played excellent teams with a long tradition and it ain't gonna get any easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back