Which SeaDoo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamis

I am new to the sport and am looking for some basic SeaDoo Info. I own a Polaris but trying a friends SeaDoo convinced me that a SeaDoo is a better machine. I want to get a used SeaDoo 3 Seater but after spending 2 weeks on the net I am totally confused by what I read. I know I want a 3 Seater, I know I want a 4 cycle engine but RX RXP GX GPS XPS you name it, clear as MUD. The same goes for what's a good year 2001, 02, 03, 04, 05 etc. Supercharged ????, Fresh water is good???? Salt water is bad???? How many hours is good, or bad.
The amount of ads with "rebuilt engine/impeller/etc" just XX hours ago, is frightening.

I am hoping that this site will help me find the right path to a successful SeaDoo craft.

Thanx,
Mike:confused:

Hi Kamis,

Welcome to the forum. I am a recent Seadoo owner myself and wanted to get a 3 seater myself. The RXP is a 2 seat model, the GTI, GTS, GTX, RXT are all 3 seat models. I purchesed a 2008 GTX 215, wonderful machine. Depending on what you are looking for supercharged/non supercharged etc. will determine which way you want to head. Just take your time and do some searching, don't rush into anything and you will find what you want. I spent almost 3 months looking before I found my two ski's.

Good luck,

Rick
:cheers:

Welcome to the seadoo forum Kamis. If you have technical questions be sure to ask them in the proper section of the forum. This thread is the " meet & greet " thread.

Karl

I will agree with SpectreChief, don't rush into anything until you learn enough to know what a good buy is. Also, if you plan on getting into the sport, you have to be committed to maintaining your machine. You can't just ride, put it away and assume all will be fine. Otherwise, it will be you rebuilding/replacing engines.

Here is a quick rundown of what I know about seadoo models and some other general knowledge to help you out.

GTI - 3 seater, entry level model, low HP, the slowest of the seadoo topping out MPH in the 50's

GTX - 3 seater, "luxury" model, HP ranges from low to high (50's to high 60's in MPH)

RXP - 2 seater, racing inspired, more nimble handling, typical high 60's MPH

RXT - 3 seater, again, more of a racing flare to them, the new model RXT-X does 0-30 MPH in 1.7 sec & 0-50 MPH in 2.9 secs.

WAKE editions - more or less GTX's with towsports features

No longer being produced
XP - older model, 2 seater, small and nimble racing inspired machine (new models are now RXP)

SP, SPX older models, I think they stopped making these in the late 90's and perhaps the SPX around '00

GSX - late 90's machine, the limited (which I have) is a medium sized 3 seater with lots of speed

A "Limited" typically just has a few more bells and whistles

I believe, that is most of them.

Engines
Wave runners were first produced with 2-stroke engines until the early 2000's. Now all of the newer models are 4-stroke engines. This was mostly due to environmental regulations.

The 2-strokes require a oil gas mix, but most machines have oil injection systems that "mix" it for you. Some choose to eliminate this system and premix their own fuel mostly to eliminate a point of failure (preventing one cause of a blown engine). These engine can be pretty picky and require a lot of active maintenance just to ensure they are running properly and to catch issues prior to them becoming "costly".

The 4-strokes are much larger engines, and much more costly to repair if something major goes wrong. Superchargers will give you better performance, but also, more opportunity for something to break and repair. I have yet to own a 4-stroke (plan to soon...RXT-X 260), but overall, the engine tend to be more reliable than the 2-strokes.

Water
Salt water is much more corrosive than fresh water. That is why people would rather buy a fresh water machine than a salt water machine. However, that is not to say that a salt water machine cannot be in good shape. It all depends on how good the previous owner was at flushing/cleaning it after each ride.

Hours
I personnally like to find a low hour machine. Chances are, most of the equipment on the ski is in better shape. You will find others say that sometimes a high hour machine is better than a low hour machine. So, just because a machine has low hours, you can't assume that you are safe from issues. Older machines that have sat for long periods will still have it share of potential problems. Don't just assume all is ok because it is relatively in new condition... go riding all weekend long... and end up with a blown motor. You have to do your due diligence and thouroughly inspect the machine. Make sure everything is in working order, ask around on the forums for common issues with that particular machine/engine and make sure you address them before you go crazy on it.

Also, don't be completely turned off by a machine that has had parts replaced or repairs made, carbs rebuilt, etc. These things are going to happen and normally, if the repairs are done right, you will again have a great running machine. Although, machines with brand new motors, barely or not even broken in yet you are going to want to be particulary careful with. There is a reason the previous motor was blown, and unless that issue is fixed, the new engine won't last long either.

Year
This does not matter quite so much. Find the other attributes of the machine that matter to you (engine, features, reverse, etc) and then view the styles of machine and range of years you narrowed yourself down to and go from there.

Hope this helps you out and good luck.

I forgot to add, that whatever machine you are thinking of buying, you should get a compression test done on the cylinders. This will give you a good indication of how good of shape the engine is internally.

You will have to find the specs on the engine in the machine as to what psi the cylinder should have and what the low end of the "working" range is. If you are close to the low side of this range, you can expect to have to rebuild the top end of the machine at some point in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back