Whats the X4 hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy94gsr

K I got a couple ?'s, I bought a 1996 seadoo spx and I wanna no if its a x4 hull, it has the 717 I am guessing 720 same motor, but they say in 96 they went to the dess key lanyard but mine does not have that, my title says 9 foot long now I also just bought a 95 seadoo spx for my wife it has the lime green look, and the 657x motor is this a x4 hull, the title says 8 foot 3 inches what's the difference for a x4 hull, and also my 96 720 motor there is a inline water hose on the right side of the motor, and a outline but the flush is piped in the outlet hose the 95 657x motor the inline e goes in and the outline does not its a flush what's the difference in the 96 xp and spx the motor is a rave 787 in the xp but are the hulls the same and also the 95 spx can I put a hood from a 96 with mirrors on the 95 and the 95 has a gas gauge can I put a trim gauge on the 95 and a gas gauge from a 96 so I can see temp and stuff is it plug and play also the 95 vets system is located in a different spot how do I get the cap off and what's the cap on it for it looks like a gas cap lol thanks everyone sorry for all the ?'s in this post its a lil crazy

K I got a couple ?'s,
I bought a 1996 seadoo spx and I wanna no if its a x4 hull, it has the 717 I am guessing 720 same motor,
They say in 96 they went to the dess key lanyard but mine does not have that, my title says 9 foot long

now I also just bought a 95 seadoo spx for my wife it has the lime green look, and the 657x motor.
Is this a x4 hull ?
the title says 8 foot 3 inches
what's the difference for a x4 hull,
and also my 96 720 motor there is a inline water hose on the right side of the motor, and a outline but the flush is piped in the outlet hose

the 95 657x motor the inline e goes in and the outline does not its a flush

what's the difference in the 96 xp and spx ?

the motor is a rave 787 in the xp but are the hulls the same

and also the 95 spx

can I put a hood from a 96 with mirrors on the 95?
and the 95 has a gas gauge can I put a trim gauge on the 95 and a gas gauge from a 96 so I can see temp and stuff
is it plug and play?

The 95 vets system is located in a different spot how do I get the cap off and what's the cap on it for it looks like a gas cap lol thanks everyone sorry for all the ?'s in this post its a lil crazy

there, fixed it for you....

now maybe you can get some answers....

lol :)
for starters, the "X4" as it was explained to me, was the "test" version of the XP with the newer engines used and tested by racers in 94/95 as seadoo prepared to bring out the new "model" the hull itself changed very little if any, but the powerplant (720, and 787) changed.
so technically the X4 hull is the 96 xp, and the 97-99 SPX. however, the older hulls are still very very similar in design.

it became known as the X4 after release in the seadoo rider circles since it had that "name" for 2 years as a test model. so consider the X4 the "code name" used for the 96 xp model before it was released.

(i'm 98% right on all this i believe, going from memory after reading it in the X4 thread a few days ago)

I have a lunch appt, so other's will chime in with answers.

OK so neither of my hulls are X4 how much more fun is the x4 hull then mine and how much faster is a 787 rave could I do work and get mine as fast as a stock 787

OK so neither of my hulls are X4 how much more fun is the x4 hull then mine and how much faster is a 787 rave could I do work and get mine as fast as a stock 787

It's almost identical. The early 2 seat hull was just a little shallower of a hull, and the chines were a little difference. BUT... with saying that... I've been told that all the 2 seat hulls 96 and newer were the same. (I haven't personally measured them though) The X4 was massaged for 800 class racing.

I guess the above isn't 100%. The GSX hull was bigger, and was a 2 seat hull. But... the XP, SP, SPI, SPX share a lot of the same parts. Also... some argue that the x4 was only the 800 powered ski's. BUT... the X4 is the hull, and not the class.

As far as power... the 720 version will still put a huge grin on your face. But... the punch of a healthy, stock 800 will make your arms sore after about 30 minutes of hard riding. The top speed diff isn't huge... but the acceleration is VERY noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
the doc is spot on...
i think you'll still enjoy a 720,, but there is definitely a noticeable difference in the 787's pull..

duly noted when I first started riding I rode a big huge yamaha 3 seater with a 700 in it, and I thought I was flying !!! so if your relatively new to pwc's you'll feel like your zipping along like a rocket no matter what you start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back