What is this electrical thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it is a relay block, I'm betting it was put in place of a defective VTS module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard wired in, i don't need it do I? I'm running a different VTS. I would like to switch to a baker trim lol

Yes it is a replacement for the electrics inside the VTS module. You will not need it of coarse with your hydraulic trim.

No you just have to wait till one comes up on ebay or forums classified section. A guy listed a bent but working Baker and people were lining up to pay $250 for it. The last one on the bay brought well over $300 so don't hesitate when you see one. R&D did make one but they are not as valuable.

The RXX had a r&d manual trim setup; they didnt articulate quite as much. They were a "direct drive" where a baker has linkage.

I have one of those RXX ones available.

Maybe it's just me and maybe I've been lucky, but I have never had any problems with the VTS system on a Seadoo. Like everything else maintenance is the key. Check the boot on the linkage at least annually if its hard or starting to split, replace it, and don't use hose clamps, I got some electrical type clamps at Graybar, I don't recall what they're called but someone else will.

I would just buy a good used OEM VTS from Nick, the stock one will work just as well, probably better than an aftermarket.

Lou

Added

I'm still not sure what the clamps are called, maybe Waytek, they look like this.

http://www.grainger.com/product/Hose-Clamp-1ENH8?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1ENU9_AS01?$smthumb$

Last edited by a moderator:
The RXX had a r&d manual trim setup; they didnt articulate quite as much. They were a "direct drive" where a baker has linkage.

I have one of those RXX ones available.

could it be used on a x4 hull? i was going to switch over to a hx trim setup but this might be worth looking into.

yes all of them are universal, just have to figure out if you need the plastic sleeve thing or not. I think you would.

Having run a million laps around a race course on every trim system... the True Cad design simple cable drive works the best. Hydro systems are junk. They dont throw far enough. Racer community finally bailed on lever actuated trim systems in 2003 and went to "self dumping " systems that work fantastic
You can build one easily. All they these lever actuated systems for sale are just antiquated retired race gear. IMOP.

That's an interesting take. The hand strain on the cable ones is pretty heavy. I did notice the Baker style Hydro ones have about the same actual throw, but they could move way more. The weak link of the system is the master cylinder, the ram at the back only moves about a 1/4 of its range. I wonder if magura makes a different one that can flow more. I'd sure like them to articulate more. Those auto drops..the big problem is the linkage always seems to be steel parts and they are a solid ball of rust at this point. I do have the really cheap version that's just a piece of plastic cut in a v with a couple of brackets too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The true cad pulls just as easy hydro. 5 laps in a race and the average person ( minus Mac and Rius ) cant pull anymore. Sorry guys no pics from a decade ago. Look at any race boats and those lever trims are gone. Seems electric trim on rec boats is bouncing back. Many of the Tour boats ran auto drop tied to auto trim tabs . Craziest mechanical engineering marvel in PWC world. Personally.. I would retro reverse gate on lever trim like new SD boats. Now we are talking some fun times. Imop

Old skool!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420334007054.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420334007054.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420334019867.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420334019867.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back