What do you guys of online bidding for actions on jet skis?

ricardo1

What do you guys think of online bidding for actions on jet skis?

Like the tittle says I have seen few skis that I like for sale on online biddings, they usually have engine damage and stuff which I don't mind working on because the price looks right. Should I go for it? I have to pay a 10 dollar a month fee and deposit since its copart or whatnot but I dont want to loose my time not money and then at the end its bs.

Last edited by a moderator:
With an auction ski that you can not test ride, you have to assume that that you will need to REPLACE the engine, not just repair it. If you look at it any other way, you will likely make a financial mistake.

With an auction ski that you can not test ride, you have to assume that that you will need to REPLACE the engine, not just repair it. If you look at it any other way, you will likely make a financial mistake.

Its a 2005 rxp with new trailer clean tittle on both going for 200, plus fees 5% reason I want to take the risk is because of how much everything is, the trailer alone is about 300 so that would make it even even without pulling a single part off the ski which is complete but it states mechanical issue.

I agree with your numbers and thought process. If it starts climbing in price, which I think it would, that is when you need to look at the numbers more carefully.

I agree with your numbers and thought process. If it starts climbing in price, which I think it would, that is when you need to look at the numbers more carefully.

In the worse case scenario I will lose 10 dollars and time, If the price gets close to 1k I probably wont even bother.

Are these ebay listings ?

For listings in my state/reasonable driving distance. I've made my share of early bids (sub $300) on machines that I expected to end up well over $1000 + I knew my low bids probably would come to nothing and if they did then i'd make the drive.

Generally speaking on a machine you know nothing about and can't see in person, assume the worst and bid accordingly with that in mind. Sometimes you end up with a steal but usually if its a high volume site like ebay the market prevails and somebody will bid it up to its highest "fair value", which is usually over what i'm willing to risk.

Yes, it's all about price. I wasn't disappointed with my purchase and most are good online but I've been lucky plus I pay attention for all small hints of rotten smells, many have some stench, I stay away.

I drove to NYC Coney Island to get mine, that trip almost stopped the deal for me except I knew the price was good (wow man, new boats are $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!$$$$$!!!!!). :)

So if it's close enough and the price+risk works for you, even if it's maybe a bad engine or something doesn't work, that is always the risk. But then you have a new engine, is it worth repairing?

Thanks for the advice, Its about 9 hrs away from where I live but little drive on a weekend wouldn't hurt too bad, I know its hard to really tell but from the detailed pictures everything "Looks" good, I wish I could go look at it in person but unfortunately I cant, this would be a project with a fresh motor and upgraded supercharger for fun, I just don't feel like paying 3700 for one with 200hrs and everything else over 4500, you know what I mean.

i've seen coparts before. Maybe if you register you can see more information, but I think it's weird that by just browsing all you see is a few pictures and then very info like "certificate of title" and "mechanical damage". There is no paragraph style description like ebay. At least from what I've seen.

Back