Water STILL in the boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksw144

So I replaced the hull seals after having issues with quite a bit of water getting into the hull of the boat while under power. This boat was new to me at the end of the last season, so I don't have any history with it.

Well I still have water coming in so fast, that it's up to the bottom of the engine within about 20 minutes of driving.

I had my girlfriend drive the boat while I watched the engine, I don't see anywhere that water is coming in, including the hull seal, although I did watch the water level rise.

I don't see any serious rock rash on the bottom of the boat.

Any ideas? I'm going to Shasta for 9 days in 3 or 4 weeks, I seriously need this thing working...

Thanks,

Kyle

water will come in the carbon seal. It's normal. After an afternoon, my boat will drain out at least 2 gallons of water.

There are a few places that are hard to see. 1) under the tuned pipe. 2) under the though hull fitting, where the carbon ring boot clamps to.

You may want to get an inspection mirror, and use it to try to find the leak under other parts.

Finally... if you want to put a band-aid on it... you can just get a second bilge pump, and mount it back toward the transom. That way, the water that drains to the rear, (while driving) can just be pumped out.

Oh... last thought... you could have water coming in around the hull fittings in the rear. (Exhaust outlet, water drain for the engine, and the bilge pump outlet) I know mine were leaking when I first got my boat. I just cleaned everything, and put RTV around them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out today or tomorrow.

Isn't it fairly common for the tuned pipes to develop rust holes in the bottom? It seems like I've read about that on here. Is there a specific place I should be looking?

I don't think it's coming from the bottom of the thru hull fitting. I watched that pretty close and didn't see any water coming in.

Aren't those outlets, bilge pump etc on the back of the boat out of the water when driving? I had the same thought at first, but it seems like most of the stuff on the back of the boat would be high and dry at cruising speed.

Thanks again,

I'll do some more looking and report back.

Kyle

tell me if I'm correct, but wouldn't it stand to reason that if it was the tuned pipe leaking it would still leak if I run the boat off the hose water?

Wouldn't that be an easy way to eliminate whether the water is coming from an engine problem, or a hull sealing type problem?

The only difference I think may be water flow, if there's less flow/pressure running on the hose versus in the lake.

Kyle

Yes, the rear fittings are out of the water while driving around, but they are submerged (partly) when parked.

Yes, it is common for the plugs on the tuned pipe to corrode, and open/crack. It is normally a salt water issue, but it has happened with fresh water engines that are neglected.

And finally, Yes, if the pipe is cracked, the hose should show that crack... but the water from the pump is probably higher pressure and volume than your hose. So, if it's right on the verge of not leaking... the hose may not put enough pressure on it.

Yes, the rear fittings are out of the water while driving around, but they are submerged (partly) when parked.

Yes, it is common for the plugs on the tuned pipe to corrode, and open/crack. It is normally a salt water issue, but it has happened with fresh water engines that are neglected.

And finally, Yes, if the pipe is cracked, the hose should show that crack... but the water from the pump is probably higher pressure and volume than your hose. So, if it's right on the verge of not leaking... the hose may not put enough pressure on it.

I ran the boat on the hose today, and some water seemed to pool in the bottom of the hull, but not much. I did the best I could vacuuming it dry, but it's hard to say if the vibrations allowed the water to run out from somewhere under the motor.

I had that same thought about the water volume and pressure when the boat is under way.

On a positive note I pulled the bilge pump and cleaned the screen and grate under it. They were both clogged with sludge and crap. I ran the bilge pump in warm soapy water. It was only running about quarter volume at first, but after a few seconds hickup'd and started really cranking.

I don't think it'll be very hard to keep up with the inflow. I'm going to take it out with a buddy on monday or tuesday evening and get another set of eyes. Worse case scenario, I'll install another bilge pump, or take another for a spare at least since this will be my crutch.

We'll see. Thanks for the help Dr. Honda. One of these days, I'm going to be able to help someone else.

Thanks Buddy, I'll keep you all posted. Maybe, if I fix this, it'll help someone in the future.

Well no fix yet, but I took it out again tonight. The bilge pump now keeps up with the incoming water, so I'm not so stressed about my trip.

I will be purchasing at least one more pump so I have a spare in the boat. I won't make it too far without it.

KW

Look on the bright side... at least your bilge will be clean. :rofl:

Actually, I have a stand-up ski set up for freestyle, so water was always in the engine compartment. Once or twice a year, I would put half of a Tide Tablet in the bilge, and the incoming water would dissolve it, and it would get rid of any grease... and it would all get pumped out with the bilge pump.

try some food coloring in the inlet when running it on the hose and it should be easier to spot and trail back to where it starts. i'm having a similar problem and thought that would be a good idea and also thought a better idea would be if you tried it first:)

Honda, that's a really funny idea. I just pulled one of my oil lines off down at the engine. Spilled oil all over the bottom of the bilge... Sure pissed me off. I might be using a half a tide tablet next time. It would help keep any sludge from building in the bilge pump again also. I like that idea.

I'm not real sure how the food coloring idea would work?

try some food coloring in the inlet when running it on the hose and it should be easier to spot and trail back to where it starts. i'm having a similar problem and thought that would be a good idea and also thought a better idea would be if you tried it first:)

I didn't read that completely, got distracted. That's actually not a half bad idea. I might try that. It would definitely allow me to track the flow. I wonder what the best way to inject the color... I'll chew on it.

KW

Well I figured it out. The idiot that installed the over sized battery and tray, put a screw through the bottom of the boat. Marine Epoxy filled it in, no more leaky.

Just imagine with all the routine repairs you made you are gonna have many long hours of fun ahead, I followed this one for awhile, sometimes so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back