Water leak GSI 717 Exhaust Muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colseadoo1955

I finally got my 1997 GSI ready to fire up after many months of a rebuilding project. Much to my chagrin, there is a water leak on the exhaust muffler (I didn't know it was called that) right above the front stator cover. As I went shopping on ebay for the part, I came across this pre=owned for sale and upon inspection see it has a "patch" on the exact spot where mine is leaking. This leads me to believe this may be a common fault on these PWCs and now I'm inclined to try and repair mine, too. I guess JB Weld is the most popular fix. Has anyone else out there run into this issue or have any other thoughts?

717 exh muffler leak.jpg

Yes, it is very common. @racerxxx sells new thick welch plugs that you can have a local welder install.
A temporary fix to get you on the water is some of the steel stick putty.
download.jpg

I finally got the 97 Seadoo GSI 717 project fired up (just when summer is over). Running it in the garage hooked up to a hose, it idles OK but cuts out when the throttle is applied steadily. It does seem to rev up OK when just punching it from idle. It starts missing when the throttle is slowly increased. I noticed the charging voltage on the gauge goes up to almost 16 volts simultaneously when the missing out happens at higher RPM. I read somewhere on here where the regulator or rectifier would cause this kind of symptom. I can't see this model having any external regulator that may be replaced. Is it built in to the MPEC or maybe the stator? Both seem to be very pricey and that stator very difficult to replace. Advice anyone?

Yes, it is very common. @racerxxx sells new thick welch plugs that you can have a local welder install.
A temporary fix to get you on the water is some of the steel stick putty.
View attachment 56523
Great advice. The JB stuff fixed that, now I'm chasing a higher RPM engine cutting out problem. All my preliminary checks are good except the charging voltage at higher RPM seems way too high. Could that cause a performance problem like this?

Yes. If the regulator is bad and sending high or ac voltage it will cause all kinds of weird stuff.

Also running on the hose will tell you nothing, the all sound like crap and are missing when reving out of the water.

Just another handy trick using the JB weld, don’t just patch it from the outside. Take the pipe off and apply some putty to the inner wall of the manifold so it goes through the cavity, and then top it up from the outside/ helps it from falling off down the track and you will get a lot more value out of the fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back