Water leak at Steering Cable Passthrough.

clt1meb

I have a 1997 GTI that is putting up a fight. I replaced the wear ring and carbon seal recently and now have a water leak at where the steering cable passes through the transom. It was not leaking before. I bought and installed the replacement washer and nut kit. Still getting water. I need some suggestions please.

See the service manual. On my 1996 there's a rubber washer that makes the seal. Is that what you mean by washer and nut kit? If that's all in there I don't know how it would be leaking.

Is this a drip or a full on stream?

See the service manual. On my 1996 there's a rubber washer that makes the seal. Is that what you mean by washer and nut kit? If that's all in there I don't know how it would be leaking.

Is this a drip or a full on stream?
Strong drip, very noticeable. This is the kit I was talking about. But I have a bad feeling is the leak is coming from behind the pump plate and entering the ski through the steering cable hole. But I am not excited about removing the pump plate.1723737015610.png

That looks like all the parts you need. Check the service manual and make sure you installed them in the right sequence.

I really hope it's not coming from behind the pump plate. That's glued on with... Sufficient RTV. If it makes you feel any better, I'm having an alignment issue that might need me to remove my pump plate and I'm about as excited as you.

Id take all the hardware and look at the pump plate plastic on the hole. I thought on mine the plastic goes through the hull and makes a full seal, so a leak behind the plate would be from the side, not the middle.

If that's true, is the drip coming from the middle or around the side? That might diagnose whether it's the kit or the plate.

That looks like all the parts you need. Check the service manual and make sure you installed them in the right sequence.

I really hope it's not coming from behind the pump plate. That's glued on with... Sufficient RTV. If it makes you feel any better, I'm having an alignment issue that might need me to remove my pump plate and I'm about as excited as you.

Id take all the hardware and look at the pump plate plastic on the hole. I thought on mine the plastic goes through the hull and makes a full seal, so a leak behind the plate would be from the side, not the middle.

If that's true, is the drip coming from the middle or around the side? That might diagnose whether it's the kit or the plate.
Maybe I should tilt the trailer, fill the hull with some water, and see if it comes out of the steering cable hole or drips down behind the plate.

Back