Warranty vs rebate??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yelg

I am new to the sea doo world and am in the process of purchasing a 2008 GTX (215) and had a question regarding warranty. Sea Doo is offering a 3 yr warranty or $1000 back on the machine and I am unsure of what the best option is. I will be using the machine in saltwater, storing it inside and hopefully using it at least 50hrs per year.

Do these machines have alot of problems in the first 3yrs if they are properly taken care of (flushed, regular service etc.)? The warranty is great piece of mind but may not be worthwhile if these machines are extremly reliable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance

I think you answered your own question...you have to decide with a flip of a coin. I sell extended warranties in my automotive business...but I would never purchase one. Not for a dryer, washer or anything else for that matter. This is just my personal opinion.

Karl

Go with the extended warranty. $1000 won't even scratch the surface of the repair cost if anything sh!ts itself on that engine or supercharger.

The 4-stroke engines are a way different animal than the 2-strokes that are more simple to repair. Repairs to the 4-stroke engines likely require the complete removal of the engine. Don't get me wrong, the 4-strokes are less likely to break down than a 2-stroke, but the repair costs are going to be way more.

That's a lot of rambling, but I vote for the extended warranty.

I think you answered your own question...you have to decide with a flip of a coin. I sell extended warranties in my automotive business...but I would never purchase one. Not for a dryer, washer or anything else for that matter. This is just my personal opinion.

Karl
:agree:I have heard this from other very smart people. [wise investors]

Not sure about how the new 4TECs go, but with the original 2-strokes I would go with extended warranty without hesitation.

Much more can go wrong in 3 years with a PWC than a car. But similar to new cars, NONE of the parts are cheap. My 3 year warranty paid for almost $5000 worth of parts and labor (driveshaft, bearing, exhaust pipe).

Proper maintenance is always important for these boats - new/old, warranty/not, stock/not, salt/fresh water. But maintenance and records are particularly important with warranty service. So make sure you are playing by the rules to maximize the warranty coverage - negligence or abuse will usually incurs cost not covered by warranty.

I vote for the threeyear warranty, as well... though that $1,000 looks mighty nice with the cost of premium fuel these days. That 215hp engine drinks quite a bit of fuel.

I just bought a Wake 215 last week. My dealer offered me the 3 year warranty for $599 and the $1,000 gas card!!!! I felt like that was a VERY decent deal, that's only $200 a year for peace of mind.

I got the $1,000 'gas-card' which is actually a Visa debit card in the mail yesterday! It's a real-deal $1,000 card that can be used anywhere that takes Visa. (does not work for pay-at-the-pump though, they tell you that in the card info).

:cheers:

It looks like I am going to go for the warranty, unless I can work out a extended warranty deal and get the gas cards.

Thanks for all of the input..cant wait to get out and ride

well on the ski you get the 1000 card and I think warranty cost is 799 and on boat is like 1399 or so and 2000 card. so its better to take the card and buy warranty. but you can always negotiate to see if you can get a better deal. keep the guy there for 4-5 hours negotiating and then say you;ll think about it and try to leave. sometimes it works and you get a good deal.

well on the ski you get the 1000 card and I think warranty cost is 799 and on boat is like 1399 or so and 2000 card. so its better to take the card and buy warranty. but you can always negotiate to see if you can get a better deal. keep the guy there for 4-5 hours negotiating and then say you;ll think about it and try to leave. sometimes it works and you get a good deal.

Seadoo values the warranty at $1049, my dealer said 'regular price' on warranty was $1495, but offered it to me at $599 plus the $1k 'gas card'.

Took all of one day to spend my $1000 card!!!! HA!

HA! I havent even used mine yet, probably gonna get the bimin top and some other goodies. I already got everything needed for the boat before the card arived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back