Want to buy a ski to restore, Which model/engine to look for?

So I have my two 2001 gtx's with their 951's which I'm sure will need attention soon, but at the moment though they are running great...:) I would like to buy another ski, with maybe a more reliable engine, that I can hone my repair skills on. I've also been looking for a junker 951 (just to take it apart...lol) but really can't find one reasonable that isn't fuel injected (I don't want to mess with that) which brings up another question, what exactly would a reasonable price be for a project ski? All of the skis I'm seeing are in the 1,500-dollar range when I'm thinking maybe 500. Maybe it's cause I'm in Florida? Anyways, maybe some recommendations on a year/model/type/motor for someone to practice on and a price range to expect? Thanks Guys

Last edited:
I did rebuild the fuel/oil systems on my skis and rebuilt both jet-pumps. I have limited engine rebuilding skills but have or can acquire the tools and I know how to read a service manual.

I agree with Mikidymac, my 95XP is now my favourite ski that I own, perfect balance of stability and playfulness, I would always recommend any Seadoo enthusiast have at least one X4 hull. Many would point you in the direction of the 96XP with the 787 but I prefer the 717’s because of their design simplicity and better reliability. It really depends on what your looking for though? If you want to carry a passenger or not? It’s very difficult to carry a passenger on the X4, it can be done but you may well end up going for a swim.

As for pricing, I agree that 500.00 is the most I would pay for a non running machine unless it was an exceptional case, in your market you should be able to find a project ski on a trailer for 400.00 to 700.00 or even cheaper, I’ve seen many really cheap machines in your market, much more difficult here in Ontario where people will ask up to 1500.00 for a non runner, which I would never pay myself. Be patient, and keep your eyes open and something great will pop up

Back