Walbro carb questioning fuel.

bigJake

Hey guys,
My leaf blower is giving me problems. It starts fine after priming, runs about 30 seconds then just dies out like it's not getting fuel. I disasssembled and cleaned the carb with no change. If I give it squirts of fuel with the primer bulb, that keeps it running, but I also discovered that if I just depress the primer bulb and hold it down it runs fine. I was going to order a rebuild kit. Just curious if the fact that it runs fine if I just hold the primer bulb pressed down indicates anything specific? I was guessing maybe the fuel pump diaphram was deflecting when the primer bulb is not depresssed. thoughts?

I got one doing the same! I have not tried messing with the primer bulb. I've cleaned the carb out several times, with no change. Subscribing!

Mike

I have an Echo weed trimmer that I've had for over 20years, I bought it at Western Auto. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and you ain't gonna believe this. The guy at the parts counter told me the primer bulb and gas line disintegrates because the alcohol in the gas causes the primer bulb and fuel lines to break down, during the process of breaking down particles get into the carburetor and causes the carb. to clog. Seems to be true I replaced the primer bulb and the 3" of gas line, cleaned the carb. and it's been running fine. Sound familiar?

Lou

Mess with the primer bulb, and replace the lines. If that didn't fix it, out to the curb. My buddy owns a small engine repair shop, when I bought my house 14 years ago I asked what was the best weed wacker and leaf blower. His response: the cheapest one you can get. Really? He said by the time you dicker with it you've exceeded the cost thru time and frustration, more if the latter. That being said, I'm still running my original Sears bent shaft wacker, starts in about 3 to 4 pulls. The leaf blower is another story, I'm on my third. The last one was my most expensive one, a 4 stroke back pack from troy built. Short of mixing my wacker gas wrong, I don't think that bitch is gonna die.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I kind of need to keep this one running because I got a lot of attachments for it. I've replaced the fuel line in the past, but not the primer bulb. That's worth a shot. Jake's issue is exactly what mine does. Right down to the 30 seconds...

Another winter project!

I have an Echo weed trimmer that I've had for over 20years, I bought it at Western Auto. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and you ain't gonna believe this. The guy at the parts counter told me the primer bulb and gas line disintegrates because the alcohol in the gas causes the primer bulb and fuel lines to break down, during the process of breaking down particles get into the carburetor and causes the carb. to clog. Seems to be true I replaced the primer bulb and the 3" of gas line, cleaned the carb. and it's been running fine. Sound familiar?

Lou

You may be onto something there Lou. The primer was working the other day and now is not. It pressurizes the fuel tank but not drawing any fuel, so I'm guessing now that the inlet fuel line may be clogged. I'll pull it out in a few minutes and take a look.

Short of mixing my wacker gas wrong, I don't think that bitch is gonna die.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Growing up i did a few lawns, my dad was always busy and never seemed to have time to mix the gas for me. He thought we had some and i was using mixed gas, but i wasnt. There was a period of probably 2 months where i used straight gas in the 2 stroke, probably 10 or 15 fillups, wouldnt you know that SOB is still going strong til this day. Weedeaters are hit and miss. My buddy does lawns, he has some Stihl's. He swears by them.

All of those primer bulbs seem to suck tho.

well I pulled off the fuel lines and was easily able to blow through them so they aren't blocked at all. I took the in tank fuel filter off just in case it was the problem. The primer is working again, that was my screwup the other day. But still no joy. Can't even get it to start spraying carb cleaner in the cylinder. Spark looks strong.

1.gif

Jake, If it runs fine after priming then dies.....is it still sucking gas from the tank? Maybe that line came off.

Back