Virgin Territory for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimimad

Hello all, thanks for allowing me to take part in the forum. I am a first time boat owner, and the one I bought was a 95 SeaDoo Speedster. So , I read Ive got my work cut out for me.

Upon getting it home on friday , I bought the gallon of Seadoo oil , filled the tank ( injection blocked off , mixing gas now) serviced the trailer , checked for leaks , and cleaned up old oil in the engine compartment. I took her to the launch on saturday. The tank was already full of gas, maybe a bonus from the previous owner. I have to say that after the first idle out beyond the 5MPH zone and getting into the throttle a bit the power and speed scared me. I grew comfortable in time and had a nice 45 minute ride in our Delta. A good day.

Ive got a few questions , but I'll address those in appropriate sections.
Jimi

Welcome...

Welcome to the forum...!

I think all of us, as being new riders at some point, felt the same way. I know when I first hit the throttle in my Challenger, I was pumped. The thing was up on plane in seconds and I was catching air across waves that jet skiers would catch. The boats are awesome fun...!

Welcome again to Seadooforum.com......:cheers:

Thanks !
Im getting my feet wet here , and trying to do more reading than writing. I caught your post about the Quicksilver oil , and liked the idea of bargain. My local Seadoo shop got me $59 for a gallon of Synth. YIKES.

Thanks again for the welcome message. It is appreciated !

Yeah, checked out ALL the Wal-Marts in So-cal, they dont carry the Quiksilver brand, unless you got the Merc motor, but did find the brand labeled "PWC" UQiksilver oil, at the Bass Pro Shops, 25 buks a gal.

After reading SeaDooSnipes threads regarding QS oils, I headed to WalMart to buy a couple of jugs to fill up the crankcase after I assemble it because I ignored most PWC's owners advice not to use TC-W3 in my 93 Doo.

My trip was unsuccessful because within a 30 mile radius of Riverside, CA, WM only carries Quicksilver Premimum Plus which is a TC-W3 oil.

Not one to be discouraged I visted a local Marine shop (West Marine) and found QS PREMIMUM and Premimum Plus Oils. The PREMIMUM is rated not only TC-W, but also rated API TC, but is a non-ash oil. (see above re: SD warning to not use no ash oils)

Based upon hours of research on the great oil debate I've read that albeit low ash oils typically provide added protection to an engine, that fact does not necessarily translate into meaning that we should select engine oil based upon whether or not it is ash or ashless, but what is more important is the oil quality classification., i.e., NAMM/TC-W3, API TC, etc.

In my case, because my 580/587 engine has no raves, buying QS PWC (which is a synthetic/low ash oil) will not be better for my engine, therefore, QS Premimum is fine and at $28 bucks it is $6.00 less a quart than Sea Doo's brand.Check out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back