(VIDEO) Abnormal sound coming from Drive-Shaft assembly in-hull! (2005 RXT S/C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KefirSeaDoo

Hey there guys!

So just when I think I'm ready to put this thing back in the water after having fixed an intercooler failure, I get this crazy noise coming from the drive shaft assembly.

Now my initial reaction is to think that there is water lodged between the carbon seal and the stainless steel collar that goes over the drive shaft (that piece under the rubber boot).

So I took this problem back to the mechanic, since it was something that I could not solve myself. He applied synthetic racing grease (red in color) to the carbon seal and stainless steel collar. He mentioned to me not to be too concerned with the noise, since once the watercraft is in water it should subside. We restarted the engine after the application of the synthetic grease and there was no longer that painful sound. He also took a moment to readjust that accordion looking rubber boot that covers part of the drive-shaft in-hull.

Before he performed the aforemention, he did a visual and probing inspection (with his hand) of the carbon seal and stainless steel collar to make sure that there was no scoring (from either sand or debris). I have never beached my watercraft or had it come anywhere near sand. I have never sucked anything into the impeller/jet pump and my wear ring is in pristine condition.

So although the unusual sound is gone now, could it be only a matter of time before it returns? Am I running my watercraft out of the water for too long? Are there other things I need to check for?

[video=youtube;pUw-Iki7JTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUw-Iki7JTo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
All jet pumps make sounds when run out of the water (such as on a trailer or boat lift). It's usually a rattling mechanical sort of noise from the driveshaft splines inside the impeller. This is normal. As long as it doesn't make strange sounds when it's IN the water, you're fine.

I don't know if the sounds in the video are true or not... when you watch your video, is that really what it sounds like? At idle there should be almost no noise at all from the jetpump, only as I advance mine's throttle do I start to hear the pump rattle a little. I can hear you spray WD-40 on it, but I cannot really hear the noise change much. Was this video before or after your mechanic put grease on the carbon ring? That should not be necessary, the carbon in the carbon ring provides the only lube it needs.

Watercraft run times on trailer or lift should be kept very limited if possible.... the carbon ring get's no cooling even when the cooling system is hooked to a waterhose. As such, it slowly heats up and heat can cause it to wear prematurely... I think 5 minutes is well below the recommended time limit. And if you don't have a waterhose hooked up to the pump, keep it less than 30 seconds!

I think you need to go take it for a test drive and see if this sound persists or not. If you hear it even while in the water, then you may have a bad carbon ring. I don't know what a bad carbon ring sounds like, I'm just guessing here.

- Michael

- Michael

I hear that sound alot on different 4tecs. It is the carbon seal "buzzing" against the stainless ring. I don't know if there is any rhime or reason why sometimes they do this and sometimes not but the bottom line is that it is considered normal and no cause for alarm. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back