Victim of a bad Intake grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcurrier

First off i am like stated in other posts I am some what new. I just bought this boat two weeks ago so I don't have much experience. I have looked below when i bought it and it looks pretty torn up. I know i need a new intake grate but what i am wondering is if i should get a new impeller and new wear ring (i think thats what its called)

How easy is it to get the impeller and wear ring off. Is this something i can easily do myself. If so how. I am attaching photos to get opinions.

Honestly i can say the boat runs great. gets up and goes pretty good. Maybe i just don't know how it should run so i think its going good.

Attachments

• IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0153.jpg
    IMAG0153.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 55
I'm new to seadoos but I was told not to take the intake grate out but to take the jet pump housing out. I had stuff stuck in the impeller and when I removed the housing I was surprised how easy it was to do so.

ps. didn't realize this was a boat thread, above was regarding pwc

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone any more input? I just had a dealer ship say they would do the labor for 150 if i bring the parts. Is that worth it or is it simple to do myself.

I am guessing on a 2000, you have the Mercury engine. A new wear ring and impeller are pretty expensive for you. I would resurface the wear ring yuorself and have the impeller refurbished. Finally, if you have the factory intake grate, you need to swap it out. There was another thread on this exact topic a couple days ago.

ya i have read the previous forums on the intake grate. i was wondering how hard it is to take off the wear ring and impeller on a 2000 speedster.

Well your question said you were wondering if you should get a new wear ring or impeller. That other post explains the price of a new ones vs refurbishing the ones you have.

Like most other repairs, you can find the directions pretty much step by step on here. If you cant find them, just ask and the regulars are usually very eager to help out. If you can figure out directions and have the slightest bit of mechanical inclination, it should be a job you can do yourself.

How hard is it to get the wear ring and impeller out. I dont see in the service manual where it talks about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back