Twin Rotax 717's: One engine sounds slow

splishy

Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out if there's an issue and what I can do to diagnose it if so. I recently got a 2000 Challenger with twin 717's and it feels and sounds like the left engine may be underperforming a bit. The left tach doesn't work so I'm going to swap the right and left ones before my next time out to get a better idea what's going on with the left engine, but my right engine is going at ~7500 rpm at WOT.

With 2 people I get up to ~35mph @ WOT, 3 people is 20mph, and 4 people is around 13-15mph. Regardless how many people I have, it seems like getting to plane and then finally be up to speed takes a while (maybe 15-60 seconds depending on # of people). Are these normal or unusual top speeds?

The right engine SC feels like it's kicking in around 5.5k rpm (around 75-80% throttle) and then spikes quickly up to 7k, whereas the left engine doesn't ever get that feel or sound even at WOT. It also feels like the boat is pulling to the left a little and I'm always having to counter steer to the right a little bit.

The left engine sometimes dies when throttling from idle as well (maybe 2-3 times in a day on the lake) whereas the right one never has that issue. It also feels like it takes a little longer to start (maybe 3-5 seconds longer than the right).

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, thanks!

Do a compression test to start,,, it could easily be a “ failing” motor.
Check that it is charging,,, a failing regulator could cause your symptom,
The boat is “steering” because your other strong motor is pushing the boat to the weak motor side.
If you are lucky, it could just be the carbs.

Back