Transfer of ownership issue

Rdorr91

Hey new to the forum . Just purchased my first pwc last week. A 96 seadoo spx. The owner gave me a copy of the COO that he recieved from the dealer and a bill of sale( did not notice it was a copy when buying). The tag and title place would not accept it. He is going to contact the dealer and see if they have it or can get a new one but seeing how it was purchased 20 years ago im really stressing the situation. Any tips of what to do would help. There is no title for the boat because in NJ( where he lives) boats under 12ft dont need one and where i live (PA) pwcs older than 97 models dont require one. So i dont know if it would be possible for him to apply for a title and just sign that over to me if the there is no luck with the dealership.

Before we dip into title clarification, was the spx ever registered? And was it registered in NJ?

No matter the answer, I would bet that the previous owner will have to put it in their name as any papers he can produce would have his name on it,,,

So I am betting it is a two step process. They get it in their name then sell/transfer to you and then you put it into your name.

Ok, from NJ to PA all you need is the registration card and a bill of sale in the name of the current "registered owner". That's it. So the reggie must match the current guy, it can't be say from the 3rd owner and the current guy is the 5th. The coo is worthless after its first registered. it sounds like the seller is willing to work with you.

At that point pa will issue you a title. I title every ski I buy. to sell a ski in Pennsylvania you will need to have a title. while you might not need to title it to register it, you will to sell it. it's a catch 22, just pay the money and get the title if much easier.

So if i have the registrstion card and a notorized bill of sale the auto tag store will transfer it ? I called one and thought they said i need the original COO as well

I go to fast tags places. It's cut and dry. Current reggie, Bill of sale, your drivers licence (or valid id), pay withcash, leave with green slip. They will mail you your registration card and stickers. You can ride with no numbers or stickers as long as you have the green slip on board. The place you're dealing with its a joke. Heck, I don't even get the bill of sale notarized, most of the time I buy on a Sunday and nothing is open. It's literally about 15 minutes if time to get it done. After the coo is sent in to first register the ski it's no longer a useable document. The coo actually shows Bombardier as the manufacturer/owner, not the guy who first registered it.

Yeah im going to go somewhere else that knows what theyre doing. What is a green slip? Kind of new to this never heard of it

The form they fill out, the copy you get is green in color. That's your temporary registration. They will mail you a registration card and 2 Reggie stickers to put on your ski. Registration is every 2 years.

My advice, if you call don't mention the coo. When dealing with fast tags or dmv....don't give them any more information than they ask for you will just complicate things. Like I said this process takes me no more than 15 minutes.

Back