Toxic Algae The New Norm in Florida

Yeah definitely terrible to see. Do you live in the areas directly affect?

Yea guys we have that problem on lake Erie . It is starting to affect great lakes . It is a real bummer . One time I had to ride jet ski thru it very yucky. Had to sterilize my bilge and engine . It stinks

Yes, Jensen Beach. You cant go near the water, especially with kids. The stench was horrible. You literally can't go near the water.

Over the last 5 years, Our lagoon, the Indian River Lagoon, decimated. I heard about the lake Erie issues too.

Its a big joke, except for us who live, ride and work in these communities. We had to store the boat. Haven't been paddleboarding, we do SUP, and we just bought a Spark that we cant ride anywhere near our home. You hope and wait for the water to clear like a few years back, but in the back of your mind, you know its still FUBAR. Just like now, total FUBAR, and its still blooming on hotter days.

It really sucks the people in toledo Ohio couldn't even Cook or drink or bathe because of that crap. the area where they were drawing there drinking water had a giant algea bloom . You are not even supposed to eat the fish . It ends killing a lot of fish

Just like now, total FUBAR, and its still blooming on hotter days.

>>FUBAR? What's that mean? I looked it up in the German dictionary and I couldn't find it.

How long has it been building? Is it the sort of thing that winter helps kill off?

>>FUBAR? What's that mean? I looked it up in the German dictionary and I couldn't find it.

How long has it been building? Is it the sort of thing that winter helps kill off?

F**ked Up Beyond All Recognition.... and no. Germany Dictionary, lol.....

Winter just stops the torrential blooms. What causes the blooms, whats made them more frequent, almost regular every year, almost, is laid out well in that article. As our legislature, our industry and agricultural processes around the lake is totally FUBAR. Without any resolve.

When you really get into it, its bs, as it really is going to become the new norm with our FUBAR system in Florida. As we grow, as a state, there is no plan to fix or curb this stuff. They cant handle it as it is, and big money keeps flowing from special groups. Even after we voted to buy lands, no lands have been bought, and legislatures shelved millions of dollars that we voted for. Thats why im so pissed. As we tried as a people to set something up to curb this, but no, IT GETS worse, and every year now we are destroying what makes Florida, Florida, for what? Sugar?

Heh, I got the quote slightly wrong
[video]https://youtu.be/g1xtiuqWFCc?t=129[/video]

This really should be a bigger topic on a larger scale. You don't see much news coverage on it, outside of a flash piece or two on the local channels.

I missed the reference too.

And the scary part is why isnt it more than a Flash in the news? Thats the scary part.

It's a monster environmental disaster. Year after year after year.

It's a monster environmental disaster. Year after year after year.

He's right. I live in Jupiter and work in Stuart. Ive driven by it almost everyday the last few months. It happens year after year especially as of late. You can blame septics, but to the amount of whats going on the last few years its not that. Its big sugar, especially with the onset of GMO sugar for biofuel, gobs and gobs of chemicals are used. OUr politi-CONS make it easier and easier for them to do it, and you wonder if it comes from higher up as in 2017 we need more biofuel in our gas besides corn based eth. Cause and effect.

I know the problem they say in Lake Erie is runoff from the farms they would fertilize in the winter when the water runoff from the thaw of spring mixed with fertilizer ultimately ends up in the lake . Causing a spike in phosphates. when it gets hot boom toxic Algae blooms

As the responder defined FUBAR is accurate, I first heard the term back in the 60s while on Navy active duty.

Also, for real historical computer geeks: one of the engineers on the VAX computer system by Digital Equipment Corporation named an internal hardware register FUBAR (failed unibus address register). See, engineers do have a sense of humor. Dang, went and dated myself ... again!

Back