TOPS problem (Error code p-1502). Need Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmlsd

I recently purchased a 2007 GTI brand new from a local dealer. Early in the break in period the ski died, check engine light came on, and the computer reported error P-1502 (TOPS function error). The ski eventually restarted but ran very rough and limited me to about 5000 rpm. When I got home I pulled and replaced fuse 10A (the TOPS fuse) thinking that maybe it somehow got loose. The ski ran normal for the rest of the break in period.

When I brought the ski in for the 10hr service I reported the issue. They installed a foam block on the inner lid of the fuse box to ensure the fuses would not get loose.

The first ride went well. The ski ran fast for what it is (both top end and pick up), sounded great, etc. But the next time I ran the ski it died and restarted with the same rough running, error code, and limited RPMs that I experienced before. I noticed it seemed to happen when I was running fast into swells (I often ride offshore in San Diego) and might have even been correlated specifically to when I 'hit' a wave. I went to the beach, pulled and replaced fuse 10A, and the ski ran fine back to the dock.

A few days later I put the ski in the water and tried to start it on the trailer but it would not start. It would sort of rumble for a second then die. I pulled the key, waited a minute, then tried again. This time it started but after a long 'beep' and with check engine and error code P-1502 showing. It again limited RPMs.

During that ride I would occasionally stop, pull the key, wait a minute, and restart. Most of the time it re-started in the error mode but occasionally I would get the 4 short beeps and it would start normal. When that happened the ski would run perfectly for about 15-30 seconds and then would start running extremely rough, sputter a few times, then usually die. Occasionally, if I kept it WOT, it would sputter, almost die, then regain power for another 15-30 seconds before sputtering again. It would do that a few times then die.

I no longer believe it's the fuse that's causing the issue. Anyone have any ideas? The dealer has not returned any of my phone calls over the past 4 days (when I speak with the tech directly they tell me another tech has to call me back). I'm getting concerned because the LB2CAT offshore race is just over a month away and I'm set to compete. It's a 58 mile offshore race and would be miserable with a messed up engine...

Thank you!

Ryan

Ryan, you need to bring it to either your selling dealer or another dealer to heve it put on the b.u.d. system (Bombardier Utility Diagnostic) to have it checked out. I believe just swapping out the fuse is not the problem. It's under warranty, don't fuss with it let the dealer do it to have it covered under warranty...Uh you do know that as soon as you use your seadoo in competition, it voids your warranty. I wouldn't mention it.

Karl

Unfortunately the dealer I purchased the ski from is avoiding me. They promise to 'talk to the manager and call back' then I don't hear from them until I call back later in the week. Four times now... Judging from your advice it sounds like I need to stay on them. I'm starting to believe this is going to be a major headache.

Thanks for the tip regarding the warranty. I was not aware of that issue... Most likely I'll need to race a different ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back