throttle cable jumping out

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregalex

Have a 2004 seadoo 3D. Had a stiff throttle cable, and tried to squirt some DWF lubricant down. Now It is pulling out of the anchor in the casing where the throttle is - the grooved slot. There is a small clip that fits over the groove to keep it in place. I have repeated the insertion a few times, and it always pulls out when you use the throttle.

Am I missing a piece that may have dropped unseen? Advice/help in inserting the throttle cable will be appreciated - THanks:confused:

Welcome

Greg, welcome to the forum. Your problem probably isn't a lubrication problem, it's probably got a broken strand in side the casing causing it to bind. No amount of lub will help it. Normally, these cables are sealed and don't need any maintenance. With the amount of force your putting on your throttle, it's causing it to pop out of it's formed fit clamp.
I'm not real familar with how your throttle cable is designed, but I can tell you, if you can't easily pull that cable back and forth by hand, it needs to be replaced. The only other thing you may look for, is if it's been pinched or kinked somewhere that it is not suppose to be.

Welcome to the seadoo forum Greg. Yes, you need to replace the cable. No amount of lube will help it work better, when it does what it is doing.

Missing piece?

Greg, if you think your missing a piece, you can go to www.seadoo.com and look in the parts section. There, you will find an exploded view of your watercraft. The section is broken down into subsystems, so it's real easy to use. That's the best way I know of to tell you whether or not your missing a part.
Oh, and you can get the part number for your throttle cable there too!....Then, either go to your local dealer for it or shop online from our home page. On the left hand side, you'll see a variety of parts distributers. Check them out!.........

Ive done a repair for a short time in the junction of the cable, but you need to have some brazzing skills to add the ends to the new cable. If it's sunday morning and your cable breaks ...you get real creative when you want to go riding.

Or purchase...

Or, just purchase a complete cable.....Karl, does anyone really braze things anymore? The last thing I brazed was copper tubing.......years ago. I dont' even think I have solder and rosin in my work box any more....
Hmmmm, I may be getting behind the times if this stuff is making a come back!.....:ack:

Last edited by a moderator:
throttle problems

the only thing i was warned about when i bought my seadoo from the previous owner was that some times the spring(i believe its a spring) can pop out of the lever and then you basically have to idol back home. he said it happened to him and it had happened to his friends and he recommended buying some extra and keeping them in the ski incase your far away from sure when it happens. i havent ever had an issue with it but then i didnt put to many hours on it so who knows i'll keep my fingers crossed. has anyone else had this happen to them?

Or, just purchase a complete cable.....Karl, does anyone really braze things anymore? The last thing I brazed was copper tubing.......years ago. I dont' even think I have solder and rosin in my work box any more....
Hmmmm, I may be getting behind the times if this stuff is making a come back!.....:ack:

The ends of the cable are not welded or soldered on. I beleived them to be brazed, so I added a new end and re-brazed it till I could get a new cable. worked for me ...

good lesson

With the throttle cable on the Challenger upwards of $100 bucks, I’ll have to remember that trick!...Thanks

Bicycle gear changer ....

And when you get it, it's not more than the type you'd use on changing the gears on your bicycle. But I bet it doesn't cost $1,000,000!..........:ack:

Improvise!

That's why I improvise!....On my old GM inboard, the starter was $140, but I could by the same one from a Vega at an auto parts store for $28!...

On my Chevy in my Chris Craft the starter was like $150.00, so I had the old one reconditioned and warrantied for 90 days for $75.00. Same thing for the alternater...recondition by the same company ...$75.00 opposed to $385.00 new.

Marine...

And they both look identical....only difference that I saw, was one was suppose to be marine......what a crocl. That starter I put on laste till I sold the boat.

They are Marine. The contacts are different and the units I used were sealed better than the regular automotive ones I looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back