throttle cable install

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelsby

I am installing a new throttle cable on my 95 GTX. When i took the old one off the handlebar throttle lever I don't think it was installed properly. My parts manual says it should have a circlip (5mm) holding it in place. And what I think was a dust cap was not in place. I went out and bought a generic 3/16 e-clip. which I was told is the same thing as the seadoo part but only 25 cents instead of $4 from the dealer. Am I wrong?

Here is a pic of the cable(below). I am going to put the e-clip in the little groove, and the slide the rubber cap over the end of the metal end of the sleeve. This should cap the end of the throttle cable housing stopping dirt from getting inside the cabke housing. Is this right?

On my first try the clip is really hard to get on and spread quite a ways and does not spring back. It popped off pretty easy with a little pressure from a screwdriver. Is that normal?

I know this sounds minor but both my service manual and Clymer manual do not say anything about this part and I want to make sure I have it on right before I start adjusting the throttle.

Attachments

• DSCN0418 2.jpg
    DSCN0418 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds right but the SAE clip seems just a bit small. The metric one would likely make you feel more confident that it isn't going to pop off someday. Although the difference between these two is statistically minuscule (.01") these types of clips should take at least as much effort to get off as it takes to put it on.

Marine quality e-clips are in every case I know, made of stainless steel. Of course $4 can get you one, or several. I agree this particular one is probably metric and an SAE size isn't liable to fit correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back