The Great Oil Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundercomm

I have a 2003 Islandia with the Mercruiser 240 EFI. What kind of oil is everybody using in these? I have heard that Quicksilver is the best. It does seem to get a bit expensive when you are using 2 or 3 gallons a weekend. Also what about changing oil brands? Do you need to completely drain the oil tank or is that just the Rotax engines?

Quicksilver!

I buy the synthetic blend (which is recommended by Rotax) of the Quicksilver oil. I looked all over the place for the required "low ash," non NMMA certified oil in all the major "boats r us" stores until I came upon the Quicksilver oil in my local Wal-mart store. A lot cheaper than driving 45 miles to my local Sea doo dealership to buy the expensive stuff.
I'll tell you what I read in my shop manual, and this is in reference to the Rotax specifications.
It recommends the synthetic blend, low ash, non NMMA type of oil, but I can use the standard oil blend if synthetic blend is not available. In reading this, it also goes on to explain that if I change to a different type, to completely drain the oil out and refill it with the new type. It doesn't say why, but my guess would be that different oil has different oiling additives than others and that mixing these different oils could change the oils properities, causing the oil to break down and cause engine damage.
Inside your engine compartment at the cap to fill your oil tank, should have a sticker giving the specifics of the main properties of what type of oil to use. I don't really have comprehensive knowledge on the Mercruiser for the sea doo, but I hope this has helped a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back