Testing Speed Limiter?

rustytraktor

Put a new motor in my 91 XP and had it out the other day everything ran great. Brought it in the shop today so I could adjust the idle speed a bit.

Now I seem to be having a gremlin. The ski starts perfect and runs but when I go to stop it, the stop button and tether don’t do the job. It can only be stopped by the choke OR pulling a plug wire.

I tested the buttons they are good. Tried running a solid ground from the j box and that didn’t work. I was reading the rev limiter could be a problem. Is there a way I can electrically test it? I don’t really want to take out the ski if I’m not sure the rev limiter is working.

Thanks!

Did you install a new lanyard kill switch? The new ones operate opposite the old ones and will not shut it off.
I did not, button circuit tests good right to the limiter.

I’m also assuming running lean isn’t an issue since pulling a plug wire kills it but correct me if I’m wrong.

Now I’m truly lost.

To my understanding the speed limiter works by grounding out the generating coil so no voltage can be produced across it.

So I took the front cover off to access the magneto connections and measured for voltage on the wire to be grounded (BLK/YLW), and got 12VAC running so must be connected to the coil! So I simulated a stop by grounding it out. Nothing. Engine kept running.

I wonder if I should be looking into the ignition module??

Interestingly enough, now my tach isn't working as well. According to the electrical drawing it wires to the battery charging coil. This all leads me to think I have a bad ground possibly, but I ran more grounds than a guy could shake a stick at while troubleshooting...

Maybe a bad connection or something pinched wire crazy it would just start doing this all of a sudden
It is very strange, it was working perfect the day before after finishing up the overhaul. I did not see anything, unless I have a troublesome connection at the magneto (although it tested good), but I'd really hate to pull the engine again.

I'm honestly leaning towards the CDI causing issues with the magneto coils. It's also the easier part to throw a part at it. Ordered one yesterday. Will update the thread if I am successful.

It is very strange, it was working perfect the day before after finishing up the overhaul. I did not see anything, unless I have a troublesome connection at the magneto (although it tested good), but I'd really hate to pull the engine again.

I'm honestly leaning towards the CDI causing issues with the magneto coils. It's also the easier part to throw a part at it. Ordered one yesterday. Will update the thread if I am successful.
Alr man good luck probly the cdi or mpem

I thought the mpem was what took care of the kill/stop operation. On the older 587 engines, I recall disconnecting the black/red wire to eliminate the mpem for testing purposes. When you did so, there would be no ability to shut off the engine using the kill switches.

I thought the mpem was what took care of the kill/stop operation. On the older 587 engines, I recall disconnecting the black/red wire to eliminate the mpem for testing purposes. When you did so, there would be no ability to shut off the engine using the kill switches.
Yes this one has no mpem just the limiter. Red to switches, black to coil, brown to ground.

Back