Synchronizing throttle levers/revs? 96 Speedster Twin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxVocalz

Hi Y'All,
I imagine this has been covered before, but I tried to search it out and being new and all...is it simple to synchronize the rpm's with throttle position, i.e. both throttle levers at 75% and both tachs at 5800? Right now I push the starboard lever further to get same RPMS. We're talking about a '96 Speedster.
Thanks. I appreciate any help,
~Max

you will never get that to happen. The reasons for that are....

1) Engines wear differently, and make different power at a given throttle position.
2) impellers/pumps get damaged by stuff in the water, and will load the engines differently.
3) the pumps/seals can leak, and will cause very light cavitation, and will load the engines differently.

With that said... there was a reason that boat manufacturer give you a throttle for each engine. It's because if you spend the time to perfectly sync the engines at 75% power... next week... it won't be the same.

The proper sync'ing method is....

1) Remove the air boxes so you can see the carb butterflies.
2) Open the throttle levers to full.
3) Adjust the cables so the carbs are fully open, but not quite touching the carb stop. (if they do, you can break a throttle cable)
4) close the throttles, and put the airboxes back on.
5) put it in the water, and adjust the idle so they are the same (don't try to adjust them out of the water, because it can dramatically change with a load on the engine)

That's it... and all you can do.

I will say this though... you may find some new power since the throttles may never have been readjusted, and the carbs may not be fully open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back