Storage box on trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpjet96

Finally got my new Triton aluminum double trailer. Never should have sold the first one (or the Seadoos), but when you start having kids it's hard to justify to the wife to keep them. I had a nice, large plastic storage bin on the first one, but can't seem to find a suitable one large enough to carry all the gear. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Looking for the same thing for my karavan double trailer. It'd be nice to be able to lock the gas cans up while we're out playing around.

Thanks for the link. I'll keep those in mind. Pro Tuff makes a plastic bin slightly larger (36 x 20 x 20) than the biggest one on ebay, but there is still one a little bigger than that. I think it's 36 x 24 x 24. I'll keep looking...

I've got the wal-mart one also. The plastic is glass reinforced nylon, and is very strong. I was able to just bolt it to the trailer using fender washers as the backing. It's been on for 3 years now... and has not faded, or had any issues.

One word of advice... mount it so the lid opens backward. That way... if you forget to to put the lock on it... the wind doesn't open it. (and you wont' need the ratchet strap as above. LOL)

89.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are great options. That unit from Walmart is similar to the one that I put on my trailer back in my PWC days. I purchased a Rubbermaid brand one that was about the width of a pickup box and was made of that reinforced plastic. It was super strong and much lighter than diamond plate.

This pic is from 2000, I had a single waverunner, and a 2-man bassboat on a double trailer. The box allowed us to haul way more gear when camping!

Campin 1.jpg

Picked up the Walmart box this afternoon. Looks pretty good. I'll install tomorrow when I find the right mounting hardware. Couldn't find what I needed in Home Depot (figures) but will check in Lowes tomorrow. Only paid $44 for the box. Can't beat the price. Thanks for the suggestions.

When you have a bunch of kids you have a bunch of crap to haul. Life vests, tubes, noodles, ... you must not have kids lol

I geuss so right.... Yea no kids. My self my ski and my truck... Along with life jacket extra gas can and some dry clothes. Along with a little booze

Many that have put these boxes on, don't have a truck either. I had a car at the time and never wanted to put wet jackets, oil jugs or gasoline cans in the trunk of the car. There were so many things covered in sand as well, that anyone with an SUV would probably feel the same way.

XPjet, you could try heavy hose clamps if that box has any feet on it. I used 4 on mine years ago and the second buyer after my ownership still has it on there with the same clamps! Good luck!

I drive a wrangler, so I need extra space to lock stuff up. I don't really worry about the oil cans, but I don't want to leave the gas cans out in the open.

When it was just myself... I never worried about it. But, once I got a double trailer... and a fam... it was easier to have a place to keep all the basics. (same as above, life jackets, small folding chairs, basic tools) That way, I don't have to remember what to bring, when I worried about packing the kids, and the regular "Picnic" stuff. (EZ-up, food, extra cloths, etc)

Oh... also... I have a bunch of life jackets for the boat... and the ski's. SO.... this is an easy way to keep track of them.

Has anyone done anything like this to a single ski trailer without a v front. I would really like a place to put gas cans. Doesn't have to be enclosed.

Has anyone done anything like this to a single ski trailer without a v front. I would really like a place to put gas cans. Doesn't have to be enclosed.

I really think you need the extended tongue type trailer to do that. Probably add an cross piece to help support it.

I have one specifically designed for Jet Ski trailers. Has cut-off corners which allow you to mount it very near the tongue and allows for tight turns without hitting the box.

When I get home I will see if I can pull some part number or a supplier off of it..
(Can't see it in my profile picture as it mounts so far forward).

Last edited by a moderator:
I geuss so right.... Yea no kids. My self my ski and my truck... Along with life jacket extra gas can and some dry clothes. Along with a little booze

you can ride with me anytime :) my whole group rolls like that.

my Kid is 18 she literally shows up with a bathing suit, life jacket and I phone, if I didn't bring her a bottled water she'd just wing it. I love tomboys...

and people, please remember doc's suggestion, mount the box backwards so the lid won't catch air and go poof ! The last trailer I bought had it mounted facing the front, and I plan on flipping it around because it scares the hell out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back