Stereo upgrade advice for a real novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo070

I am looking for some basic stereo upgrades for my boat, system that is in there at present is poor, although it does seem aftermarket. I have read the stereo install threads from Sako and the like and they may as well be written in Manderin!!

Basically, I am looking for a new header unit that is Ipod ready, radio would be good and CD not really required but if it has one thats OK. I really dont want to concern myself with cutting holes or making holes bigger in the boat, so what size speakers are the standard ones and would simply upgrading those with 'better ones' (what 'W' is 'better'?) and having the new header unit be enough to give a marked improvement in sound? I guess I am looking for the biggest improvement for basically unplugging the existing system and plugging in the new one.

I really dont understand when an amp or kicker would be required, as I have no clue what they do, apart from make thigs louder! I dont need a "banging" boat, just some decent sounds for the family inside BUT with the option of possibly installing some tower speakers in the future.

I think my boat may have had some speakers on the tower in the past, as there was a wire coming from the hull in front left corner and into the old tower (mine is in the dealers as we speak getting the new tower as part of the safety recall) but I have a feeling that the amp/kicker may have been removed along with the speaker prior to me buying it. There is a panel that was installed on the kick plate in front of the fron passenger seat which I will remove when I get the boat back, as I have a feeling this is where the 'extra' electrics were hidden.

I know this is likely beneath some of the 'sound guru's' on here who I envy for their vast knowledge of this stuff but some simple advice would be most welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
most speakers on these boats are 6.5". A Fusion head unit will be more than good enough for you. You can then run an amp later on if you decide to put on tower speakers. The amp will just plug into the back of the Fusion head unit. If you really want good sound, then put an amp on the "in boat" speakers as well. You can get a small amp to put out around 50watts RMS x 4 and have a great sounding boat. Stay away from Sony, Pioneer, and Jensen. Go for Rockford Fosgate, JL, Wetsounds, or Kicker brand speakers/amps.

The new head unit will only give about 20watts RMS per speaker, and it won't have a filter built in. That's why you get sound distortion when you turn the volume up. Adding an amp will fix that. Rockford makes a 400x4 amp that puts out 75 RMS watts, and you can get it for around 200$.

Oh I forgot to mention I am a cheap SOB too !! The sounds wont be CRANKING so I dont want to spend a fortune on the whole system, as I will have to get someone in to fit it too, I know I will get heckled for this but would the following be of any use or a total waste of time, its got to be better than what is there already right? And would it support a pair of tower speakers, again not real top end just some tunes for the kids when theu are tubing or boarding. I know and understand the whole "you get what you pay for" so what will I get with this??
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/EKMRW10-New-...831028?pt=US_Marine_Audio&hash=item231e4717f4

i wouldnt buy it, but it's your money. You can get a decent system for around $600 i guess, but that won't have tower speakers.

Your link to the eBay stuff is total garbage. The stock stuff is better than that crap. You can get 4 decent speakers and a new head unit for under $400. Get something you can upgrade later, it is addicting and you WILL want to add more.

I went with clarion marine series. I have had them for over a year and have had zero issues. I got them all from west marine but had them price match everything so I got it all really cheap. They are used heavily in salt water and there isn't a sign of corrosion. I wired six of them them up to an MB quart six channel nautic amp and two subs to another MB quart nautic amp. Foster is right, spend the money now or replace garbage six months from now. Use marine grade wiring and hide the electronics from water exposure. Last tip is if a company offers an extended warranty, buy it cause you may replace them before it expires.

You'll get better sound from two nice speakers than four average ones. An entry level fusion head unit with a pair of good speakers will only cost $150 more than an el cheapo one which will die after six months. Go to a dealer, listen to a high end set up, then start stripping back the set up until you have your budget. At least then you can slowly build up your audio and you know it will last.
Just my 2 cents worth.

After spending some time on the boat with a decent stereo we have come to the realization that we listen to more music in the boat than most other places. Imagine the hours spend compared to in the car or home.

We had the local stereo shop move my Alpine Marine speakers and Eclipse deck from my old boat. They also added an amp and Kicker tower speakers. We could have spent alot more, and possibly will in the future.

What I'm getting at, is we have a decent sounding setup, but I would not use it to provide music while towing. That requires some serious power and quality to provide music at those levels. We can listen in the boat, but I would say it is more distracting while towing, than anything.

We even tipped our tower speakers towards the back of the boat as we listen more while lounging on the back or playing Volleyball.

X2 on skipping that garbage on Ebay. You would be better off keeping your factory head unit and just adding quality speakers and a small amp.

Good luck!

I kept the jensen head unit in my 2011 speedster, added a remote for in the back for easy access, Infinty wake tower system and two high end odyssey batteryies for long lasted hours of run time while floating in the water. total cost $1300 P.S. sounds awsome, no need for highend head unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back