Steering Wheel---Tight Fit for 6'2" potential owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsageRiverRat

Hello All.

Brand new to the forum and have researched several things over the past weeks on your great forum.

Here is my dilemma:

Looking to pull the trigger on a brand new Speedster 150, as fiance(soon to be wife) does not enjoy the current jet ski. We have looked and both really like the speedster but.....I am 6'2" and the cockpit is a little tight. I have read some older posts on here regarding steering wheel replacements. My main problem with the speedster cockpit is the bottom of the steering wheel slightly rubs the top of my legs so I am wondering if a simple, relatively inexpensive solution might be to go with a smaller diameter wheel from Grant(11") along with the proper hub to see if it might make the cockpit work for me.

Any thoughts or opinions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Doesn't the seat slide back far enough for you to straighten your legs out? I am similar height, but my seat adjusts forward and back. I was under the impression that they all did. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think on the 150 speedster the seats slide. They appear to be fixed(3 across), with the drivers seat being one of the three. I am new to the whole sport boat market so I am not certain.

Thanks,
Doug

Ahh, my bad. I was still thinking there was a captain's chair in front of the row of three. That makes sense then. Us big kids need bigger boats I guess.

I'm 6'1" and get the same thing when i get in a 150. I really don't see how you can fit in it comfortably being over 6' tall.

Ahh, my bad. I was still thinking there was a captain's chair in front of the row of three. That makes sense then. Us big kids need bigger boats I guess.

True that. I don't really want anything bigger although a lot of the bigger sea doo boats I have looked at are really nice, we already have access to(my parents) 24' Deck boat and 30' Regal(Uncle's) so I still want something that is smaller and has the same fun and thrill of my jet ski. The speedster 200's I think have a separate seat that is adjustable, but they are pricey and a little bigger than what I want.

Thanks again.

Doug

There are 2 solutions.

1) Put on a smaller wheel. The steering unit is from Tellefex, and it's a simple 3/4" Tapered, keyed shaft. You can get a generic hub for it.

2) A less known (old) option is a tilt steering system. It will bring the wheel a little closer... but you can raise it. And... if you get creative... I'm sure a new mount could be made, and move the entire system back a few inches.

Seadoo use to put out a kit... but you can just get the Tellefex unit. (Sport version)

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/mechanical-steering/tilt-steering/

Thanks Dr. Honda.

I had briefly explored both options via the internet, but am glad to hear an expert say either(or both) of them will work and am especially glad the sport tilt helm from Teleflex will work.

We are very excited to possibly get into the sport boat hobby and the speedster will fit our needs and wants perfectly if I can make the cockpit/sterring wheel situation work and get a decent deal on a new or gently used speedster.

Thanks,
Doug

There are 2 solutions.

1) Put on a smaller wheel. The steering unit is from Tellefex, and it's a simple 3/4" Tapered, keyed shaft. You can get a generic hub for it.

2) A less known (old) option is a tilt steering system. It will bring the wheel a little closer... but you can raise it. And... if you get creative... I'm sure a new mount could be made, and move the entire system back a few inches.

Seadoo use to put out a kit... but you can just get the Tellefex unit. (Sport version)

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/mechanical-steering/tilt-steering/

I have looked into the tilt helm and various wheels and those will both be viable options which I believe I can accomplish myself with help from friends/relatives, but I am interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on the "getting creative", making a new mount moving the whole steering wheel forward an inch or two. The options of the smaller wheel and/or the tilt helm are great, but the more I think about it moving the whole thing forward an inch or two would be ideal in combination with one or both of the other options. I am not a mechanic or a machinist, most of my skills outside of my day job are related to woodworking and construction. So any ideas on how this might be accomplished on a Speedster 150 would be welcome. We are still researching the Speedster and before I pull the trigger I really want to make sure the steering wheel/helm will be comfortable or at least I have explored some ideas for trying to make it that way.

Thanks,
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back