Stay with grease in pump cone or change to oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoo_mike

Thought I would do some maintenance after winterizing the boat. It is a 2009 challenger with only 55 hours on it, but I wanted to replace the wear ring even though it is in ok shape, and also pull the pump cone off and check it out. I pulled off the pump cone and found not much grease in there at all (picture below). Is it best to clean out the grease and go with synthetic oil? not sure why BRP went with the grease instead, but it doesn't look like it is doing anything, I can see the actual ball bearings. If I should use oil is mobil 1 ok to use and how much oil should I put in there.
pump cone.jpg

O.K. I might get some disagreement and I'm an OEM guy. I have always believed that the manufacturer knows more than I do about building his product, GM, Ford, Seadoo, who ever, so personally I would go with what the manufacturer recommends, so stay with the recommended grease, there's a reason BRP recommends it.

Lou

I definitely agree with you LouDoo, but the grease was everywhere else but on the bearings, and it didn't seem like there was enough in there.

yep, i was thinking about changing over to oil, but have decided to stay with grease.
agree with lou, i have my pump apart now and the grease doesn't look too bad.
the manual does specify how much, how to put in and how often to check for a reason.
comments......

just looked at the pic, looks like to me not enough packed in, the correct way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed to Amsoil marine gear oil. Use 2.5oz, it fills the cone up about halfway. Never had a issue. I heard they went to grease so the pump didn't have to be serviced like the older ski's that used the oil. Others mix half oil and half grease to make a thicker paste.

What if you have an older model with oil in it such as my Speedster SK? Can I switch over to grease and not worry about destroying the bearing?

thanks pwgsx duly noted, I agree pete63 it looks like it was never packed right from the factory, there was only a tiny bit of grease in there, the pump was never messed with until now. So would you agree that if filled properly that the grease will heat up under load and become more liquefied to lube the bearings, if that is how it works.

thanks pwgsx duly noted, I agree pete63 it looks like it was never packed right from the factory, there was only a tiny bit of grease in there, the pump was never messed with until now. So would you agree that if filled properly that the grease will heat up under load and become more liquefied to lube the bearings, if that is how it works.

that's what i noticed, when you pull the pump in the warmer temp the grease changes it viscosity to be more fluid

edit
just re-checked manual, total of 52cc of grease in the shaft and cone area.

Both of my cones when removed were packed with grease but it was all pushed away from the bearings.

Both of my cones when removed were packed with grease but it was all pushed away from the bearings.

That grease has to get thinner as the bearings are turning and heating up. When not is use I'm sure it cools back down and then thickens up... When you go to restart there's enough grease on bearings to protect from last run till grease heats back up again...

What's recommended hour change on a 2007 challenger 180 se for pump oil...
And also how many hours for engine oil change...

Yes I need to download manual but I suck....

Thanks guys

Oil change every season before you store it for winter. That's when I do the pump oil as well.

thanks for the replies everyone, I am going to stick with the grease for now, I will repack with correct amount and pull pump off after next season to inspect what it looks like

Looks like this forum will keep me busy over the winter, as the one cone looks improperly packed from the factory suppose I should pull the two on mine.. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back