Starter button- only hear clicking sound when trying to start??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clicking you are hearing is likely the solenoid. That said, it may not be the problem.

You need to do/try a few things.

Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver across the two battery terminals (on the solenoid). If it cranks, then your battery, starter, wires and connections are good and you need a solenoid. If it does not crank, then you likely have a power issue or a bad starter.

If no cranking, get a meter and read the voltage of the battery, then do it again while trying to crank the engine.

Post your results and we wil go from there.

I should tell you that it will start after several attempts with the starter button-hope that helps -does that change the recommendation?

I should tell you that it will start after several attempts with the starter button-hope that helps -does that change the recommendation?

Only a little...

It is either the starter button or the solenoid most likely.

Test the small wire (yellow or with a yellow stripe) that is on the solenoid. It should read 12 volts every time you press the start button. If it does, then your solenoid is likely sticking.

If you jump across it like suggested above (and it cranks) AND get 12 volts when doing the start button test, that will pretty much ensure it is a solenoid issue.

They are a common failure.

Thanks for the thoughts - Ill be going up to our boat where we keep the wave runners in a couple of weeks and will try the recommendations-this web site is awesome-if you all are ever at Lake Mead - dinner and Makers Mark on me!

I'm sure it was a solenoid failure. The solenoids, especially in the mid 2000 range, tend to fail intermittently but more importantly they still click every time making you think that they are working fine but they click and don't put voltage through. If you press it like 5-10 times, it will finally put voltage through and start the ski. I had a customer who told me he used his ski for 5 years like this and didn't seem to get any worse, would always start eventually if you just keep pressing the button. He was quite pleased after I fixed it in 15 minutes.

Also, SeaDoo came up with a revised design on the solenoid a year or two ago. It is a sealed all black plastic unit. The ones that fail are the brown plastic with a metal plate riveted to the back of it. I have yet to see a failure on the black plastic units but like I said they really aren't that old yet and the brown ones took several years before they started failing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading up to Lake Mead where the wave runner is on a lift in a couple of weeks-bought a battery to take with me just in case-whats the part and part number for a new solenoid-2007 RXP 155-YDV45067C707-where should look for parts -Newbie here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back