Sportster electrical problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello all, I am new to the seadoo jet boat experience and recently purchased a 2000 sportster LE last week. I put it in the water the first time on the weekend and it worked great on Saturday. Sunday morning I tried to fire it up and there was no power to the blower, bulge, starter. However, the fuel gauge did indicate the fuel level but once I put a load on the system the power to the gauge fell off.

I thought it was a problem with the battery, so I changed it with another, however, I had the same problem.

Next, I opened up a black box which receives the wires from the battery switch and it was flooded. This box houses the wires for the starter and supplies wires to a grey square plug on the outside of the box - right hand side (not sure what this is but I am assuming it sends power to the blower, ignition, lights, etc. This electrical plug was also wet. I was successful in jumping the starter wires directly and the engine did turn over, so it isn’t a problem with the battery or the switch.

Now, the power to the fuel gauge is not working with or with the key.

So here are my questions.

#1 is it common for this wiring box to take on water? It looks like it has been flooded before given the clay on the bottom and sides of the box.

#2 to solve this problem do I only need to dry the box and grey electrical plug or do I need to check all the wire connection in the box (and external fuses) to see if there is a short in the wiring.

Any thoughts/advice?

....Flooding?

This box is suppose to be sealed from the water. Although your ignition coils and solenoids can be dried out and like you said, you jumpered across the solenoid and the engine turned over, the wires leading from that box go up front to your mpem (multi purpose electronic module). This is the brain for your Doo. There are fuses on this that need to be checked. Disconnect your battery leads.
First, I'd dry out that box really well. Maybe clean it with a electronic friendly cleaner. After it's really clean, be ready to re-seal it from the elements. But finish your trouble shooting first.
Then, up front, you should have a latch around your steering wheel that will lead you inside. Mine, there is a box that houses my tool box and fire bottle. Pull that box out. You should see all the electricals that operate the boat. Rely's, switches and your mpem. Here you should have more fuses. The mpem is going to be rectangular and be visible as a sealed eletronic device. There should be fuses directly connected to it. Check these fuses.
What I think may have happened, is that when the rear box assembly flooded, in essence, the wires going to your electronics up front became grounded and shorted.
After all fuses have been checked and your wires in the back have been throughly cleaned, I'd use some die electric grease for protecting your terminals, then you should be able to try for power again.
When you connect your lanyard to the post, you should hear 2 short beeps. This signals the correct lanyard and will power up your system. Your fuel gage and other accessories should come online. After 30 seconds, if you don't start your engine, the delay timer will shut the power back off, to keep you from running your battery down.
Let us know what you find out!.......and be careful, the mpem is an expensive piece of electronics the boat can't run without. :hat:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for the advice. I will give it a try this weekend and see if it does the trick. Mind you the weather is beautiful in Ottawa and I would rather be in the water as opposed to having my head in the engine.

In terms of the MPEM, is there a surge protection or fuse which protects the unit from a power surge? How can you tell if the MPEM is fried? I am hoping that this isn't the case.

mpem!

Yes, the mpem is protected from surge with fuse's........how can you tell if it's fried, well , there is a diagnostic mode in your DESS that will help you do that. After reading the above post and try the things we wrote about, give it a try and let me know what you get. When you put your lanyard cap on the post, you should get 2 short beeps. If you get anything else than that, let me know. Oh, make sure your shift lever is in neutral. There is a safety switch that won't let you start.

Pardon the ignorance but what is DESS. I need to find these diagnostics as well because I have a similar problem.

Pardon the ignorance but what is DESS. I need to find these diagnostics as well because I have a similar problem.

I'm not sure of the technical term , but I'm pretty sure it is the Plunger type key electrical cap that is coded to start the boat. Every boat is different so no one can just start it with any old connector. For lots of info I highly recomend you download info from the manual section to learm more about these neat jet boats.I'm kinda new here,but found the info readily availiable. (DESS...Digitially Encoded Security System)
Karl

Good news - the electrical box was cleaned and changed a blown fuse and it is alive once again. But I seemed to have blown the "beeper" device (not sure the technical term) and that is why I didn't receive any beeps indicating the readiness of the boat. I broke down and took it into my local dealer on the weekend and this is what the mechanic found.

Thanks to all for the useful advice and since I was able to provide the mechanic enough information on the problem, the dealer didn't charge me for the electrical box drying/cleaning job. Mind you they will make a few bucks for changing the beeper.

Thanks for clearing that up (DESS). Believe me, I've been doing a lot of reading...just got a 2000 Challenger a couple weeks ago. I've been trying to get it ship-shape and have run into a couple of things that have made me do some internet digging and parts buying.

Don't want to hijack this thread so i'll start another about my electrical woes...my beeper didn't work either. Went to Radio Shack to get a $3.99 replacement. The original was hanging from one frayed wire. That was the easiest of the fixes so far.

Thanks for clearing that up (DESS). Believe me, I've been doing a lot of reading...just got a 2000 Challenger a couple weeks ago. I've been trying to get it ship-shape and have run into a couple of things that have made me do some internet digging and parts buying.

Don't want to hijack this thread so i'll start another about my electrical woes...my beeper didn't work either. Went to Radio Shack to get a $3.99 replacement. The original was hanging from one frayed wire. That was the easiest of the fixes so far.

Wow that was a savings. I think I saw that for like $20.00 somewhere else as a genuine part! Thanks for the info.....these toys do make ya dig for info and increase you reading habits..lol:) If you miss something, someone usually chimes in to bring you up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back