some Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

_thomas_

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about buying a sea-doo GTI 130 and i have a few questions. I'm pretty new to jet skiing so i apologize in advance for any stupid questions :)

- How much would the GTI 130 consume in ECO mode ? ( if you can't give me a rough number a range would be appreciated )

- Do you need a PC to configure the "learning keys"

- Would you suggest to pull the jet ski out of the water every evening or to leave it in the water if i use it every day of the week? (saltwater)

- After flipping should i try to restart it or pull it out of the water and let it dry before trying to restart it?

Thats everything for now :P I hope that you guys ( and girls :P ) can help me. Any answers would be very welcome :thumbsup:

greetings thomas

- I can run my Wake 155 practically all day on a tank of gas in Sport mode dogging the crap out of it. (It burns 2 to 3 gallons an hour depending on how much WOT I give it.) ECO mode is PAINFULLY unresponsive.
- No the learning keys are pre-configured.
- It needs to be flushed occasional if it is in Saltwater. I can't speak for how often it would need to be flushed though.
- You should be able to flip it back over and restart without any problems. It wouldn't be very practical if you had to pull it out of the water every time somebody flipped it.

- I can run my Wake 155 practically all day on a tank of gas in Sport mode dogging the crap out of it. (It burns 2 to 3 gallons an hour depending on how much WOT I give it.

only 3 gallons a hour? o.O
From other Forums i got the idea that it consumes about 5 gallons a hour in ECO :P
well thats gonna be nice for me though :D

regarding the saltwater: so you would recommend letting it in the water and only flush it out every X days, right?

another 2 questions that popped into my mind::cool:

-the GTI 130 should consume less fuel then the Wake 155 right?
- do you have any favorite lifejacket you can recommend me? ;)

btw. thx for the quick answer :)

greetings Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
only 3 gallons a hour? o.O
From other Forums i got the idea that it consumes about 5 gallons a hour in ECO :P
well thats gonna be nice for me though :D

regarding the saltwater: so you would recommend letting it in the water and only flush it out every X days, right?

another 2 questions i have:

-the GTI 130 should consume less fuel then the Wake 155 right?
- do you have any favorite lifejacket you can recommend me? ;)
btw. thx for the quick answer :)
greetings Thomas

I can definitely tell you the 130 engine is not going to burn anywhere near 5 gallons an hour unless you are running an extreme amount of throttle for long periods of time. Mine usually comes closer to 2.5 ish gallons an hour.

- It might consume a little less. I am guessing it would only make a difference if you run WOT a lot. I believe the 130 and 155 are identical engines and the 155 is just turned up a bit more, but somebody with more knowledge on this can conirm/deny.
- They gave me a "free" SeaDoo life jacket with mine, so that is what I wear. The extra ones I have are just random Wal-Mart/Academy brand life jackets.

Also regarding the saltwater I honestly have no clue how often it should be, but I do know that you shouldn't leave it sitting in there 7 days a week without ever flushing it.

Sea-Doo’s Louis Levesque once told me that when gas prices go up, PWC stand out as a cheaper alternative to a traditional boat. I looked into that statement several years ago for Powersports Business, and found he was right. Using data from Trailer Boats magazine, I found that boats of similar horsepower typically burned more fuel. Examples? At 250hp, a four-stroke outboard on a Triumph center console gulped down 15.2 gph at 35 mph; a fuel-injected two-stroke on a 23′ ProLine bay boat burned 9.2 gph; and a 260hp sterndrive on a 22′ Ebb Tide burned over 10 gph.

An article about gas usage.
http://rideliquid.com/?p=937 for more details

Low horsepower, introductory models? As you might expect, they really trim the fuel burn. In a 2009 comparison, I noted the Kawasaki STX-15F burned only 5.4 gph at 35 mph, the Sea-Doo GTI SE 130 6.4 gph, and the Yamaha VX Deluxe a mere 4.1 gph.

Nobody likes the new that gas is getting more expensive. But when weighing your options as to whether or not to buy a PWC, it helps to have all the facts. Of course, the next time someone accuses you of having one of those “gas-guzzling PWC” it might also be fun to set the record straight…

Being a part time Doo'er in saltwater and knowing friends that do it a lot more I would say to Flush and fog your motor EVERY time after riding in Saltwater. Run it on the hose (1-2 minutes MAX) or take tit to a fresh water lake and run it 5 minutes or so. Fog the inside of the motor and spray the outside too for better protection and wash down the hull too.

_Thomas_...Had a ski many years ago...looking at purchasing a new ski...several issues to be concerned with, and I have been on the water for over 40 years...almost all salt...Salt hates metal.....ski should be taken out of water at end of day and flushed well. Figure gas at 3 gal per hour run... harder more fuel...slower less....Not sure about flip mode....When I had mine...they had a diagram on rear which tells you what way to turn it over....don't do it that way, and you risk water in cylinders...I watched one last weekend bite the dust when the owner failed to turn it the right way.

Suds

@ Sudsy

Thx for the response :)

Would you recommend Fogging the whole engine every evening if its gonna be used the next day again?
greez Thomas

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about buying a sea-doo GTI 130 and i have a few questions. I'm pretty new to jet skiing so i apologize in advance for any stupid questions :)

- How much would the GTI 130 consume in ECO mode ? ( if you can't give me a rough number a range would be appreciated )

- Do you need a PC to configure the "learning keys"

- Would you suggest to pull the jet ski out of the water every evening or to leave it in the water if i use it every day of the week? (saltwater)

- After flipping should i try to restart it or pull it out of the water and let it dry before trying to restart it?

Thats everything for now :P I hope that you guys ( and girls :P ) can help me. Any answers would be very welcome :thumbsup:

greetings thomas

Fuel Consumption - Can't give you an exact figure but I can give you a comparative. My slow ski is a GTX with a 155 engine. My spouse drives it like a human being with some straight runs that are fast. But not too many wave jumpings and things like that. She will use 4.5 gallons of fuel in three hours of use. That works out to 1.5 gallons per hour running at 35 to 40 MPH on average.

If you are going to leave it in the water you MUST install a direct wired bilge pump if there is not one already there. And as mentioned, I would pull it at least once a week and do a major flushing and scrubbing it clean. I couldn't do it, it would drive me nuts to leave a ski in almost any water let alone salt water.If it were me, I'd be doing a fresh water wash down every day and include the engine compartment.

After flipping, there is a specific way to rotate it if it is still upside down when you get back to the ski. They are designed to be able to flip and be ok. I would take a look in the engine compartment. If it has minimal water then start it up and have a good time. Lots of water,,, then I would pinch of the tow hose, tow it to the dock, remove the pinch clamp, remove the spark plugs and crank it and see what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas always fog...I did it for the 4 years I had my ski....and always flush my 225 horse merc engine......I never leave salt in any part that can damage it...I have seen salt damage many. many times...invest in a good trailer and haul it to storage or home... I would never leave a ski in salt water 24/7

Suds

First things first: THANK YOU for all the answers and help ;)

So guys, ive finished reading the manual and i've been wondering about one thing: ( btw. i decided to buy it :D )

You guys suggested me to get it out of the water every day and fog it after washing it with normal water. (after a whole day usage in saltwater) here comes the interesting part: the manual makes no note about the fogging. I've looked on youtube for fogging but i only found videos of some pretty old jet skis which i think are very different to the ´13 jets. (do you have to fog it when you have the closed loop cooling system -> i pretty much have no idea about fogging ...)

I have 3 doos...an RXT and two GTi's (2008 155SE and a 2011 155LE). I ride in salt only. We typically ride long distances here in northwest florida. We have done 170 miles round trip in a day. We rode 90 miles last Saturday from Orange Beach Alabama to Destin Florida, and 60 yesterday from Pensacola to Destin. Fuel on those rides was about 3.5 to 4 gallons per hour riding easy, but unless you are riding steadily without shutting the ski off, you should be able to ride all day on a tank...possibly all weekend depending on how you are using it, since it's common to take a ride then stop for a bit, then ride some more, etc. I pull my ski's out at the end of the day and wash them inside and out thoroughly and leave them open with the seat off and hatch open. The next day I spray them throughout the inside with liquid wrench lube (blue can, orange top) and spray the pump area and driveshaft and then start them and spray into the intake for 5 seconds (my fogging process). I store them with the seats not latched and propped up an inch or so for ventilation to keep them from condensation build up. My skis look great and the dealer comments on that when I bring them in for annual service. My 08 is clean and corrosion free after 4 years and 160 hours. We have a big group that rides together (Crewe of Doo) and a couple of folks don't lube theirs like I do and their skis show it and are corroded some. Hope this helps.

Saltwater corrosion will be relentless without washing out your bilge after a day, the salt keeps building up and eating away. I would do as the above poster suggests, but I would fog with a mineral based 2 stroke oil in a squirt bottle, or a fogging oil such as CRC, and CRC engine protectant spray over the engine. I guess liquid wrench is also a penetrating oil, so it has surfactants to break surface tension and will cling to everything, also a good choice.

The salt will corrode everything it can reach, ocean going vessels are always rinsing their bilges with fresh water and fogging the engine will help protect the iron cylinder walls from corroding.

i currently have 13 hours into my 2013 gti 130 and its very good on gas. 3 gallons an hour is really drivin her hard. run eco if you are goin for long runs to a certain spot. then jus turn sport on when u wanna have fun. heck you could prolly even tow tube/ski in eco.

Interesting. I have a 2013 gti se 130, 9 hours. Salt and brackish riding. I spray a spray bottle of 6-56. That is what the dealer suggested ... Spray the outside bucket area and most the inside engine compartment. They didn't mention fogging . But I usually ride two days and rest 5, so I'd be open to fogging. Any certain fogging oil anyone suggests?? And since I had a polaris before and never a sea doo, where is the spot to spray the fogging oil? Any info on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back