Ski location on trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnic

I got my bunks positioned this weekend and they sit a little lower in the trailer and the bunks are in full contact with each ski. But now I am looking at how the skis sit front to back on the trailer. I have a dual shorelander with a 01 GTX and a 01 RX. The GTX is about 3" from the back of the bunky, and the RX is about 10-12" from the back/end of the bunk...The weight on the tongue is pretty close to right and they pull good..but man I have to be up to the tongue in water to unload..What should I do?

Your winch should be adjustable so you can move the RX back a little. I ride with both my skis about 1 inch from the end of the bunk. This should decrease your tongue weight a little. Not sure if your tongue weight is on the high side of "pretty close" or the low side.

Also, you should not have to submerge the bunks completely to load/unload.

If you choose to move the winchstand back and loose tongue weight there are other options. Some trailers have the abillity to move the axle back as well. This may allow you to move the ski's back, and keep the tongue weight you want. This also allows you to keep more of your tow vehicle out of the water.

It's just a balance of all things to get it right. Most will keep that axle under their skis fairly centered though.

Is there a way to widen the bunks? This would allow the skis to sit lower to the ground. Thus, less trailer in the water...

Almost all trailers can. I actually had mine adjusted years ago to haul one waverunner and one two-man bass boat. It kicked butt!!

How low do I want to go in the trailer? How far do I need to be from the cross member when up on the bunk boards? I look to have about 6" as the brackets are mounted as high as they will go...

I live by the rule that I want them as low as I can get them without the remote possibility of the hull hitting a cross member from any angle or depth.

In other words, if you miss the bunk, are you going to hit a cross memeber, fender, light or tie-down bracket. Rule #1 protect the gelcoat! Also be carefull if you have any pivoting bunks. You don't want to hit one off center, have it pivot and run your hull into metal. If you are doing this on a pwc trailer, all bunks should be fixed and that is not an issue.

I think most dealers will look at the strakes (maybe not right term) on the bottom of the hull. If you line the bunks up with the ridges/strakes you will have a better chance of lining up the ski every time you load it. If you are outside of those ridges, you have the chance of putting it on off-center and there is nothing to guide it straight onto the trailer.

So most bunk trailers are setup to the boats hull and shape. Keep in mind, that the larger the ski, the more chance that the bunks are narrower towards the bow than the stern. Remember stand-ups kept the bunks pretty much straight from bow to stern. Larger PWC and boats may follow the lines of the hull to help with centering when loading. They also want to minimize resistance when unloading.

Good luck!

I was just wondering how much tongue weight do you guys use, mine is, just guessing 60-70 lbs. Is that about right? I haven't changed the position of the ski on the trailer since I have owned it.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Tongue weight should be based on the capacity of the tow vehicle. Each one is different. This should be labeled on the drivers door jam along with tow capacity. You will also want to keep in mind the amount of gear you may haul in the back of the vehicle or bow of the boat.

Many folks don't think of tongue weight as they use a tongue jack and don't realize how much they are lowering down on the hitch. If you don't weight it, at least watch how level the tow vehicle is. If you have proper weight on the tongue, and the tow vehicle is level, then a person can pick their hitch height so that the trailer is level as well.

When all is setup right, there should be little issue with steering/wagging etc that are effected by wrong tongue weight.

I guess by accident its setup right. Unless I look in the rear view I hardly know I'm towing anything.

Lou

Lou,,,

For Jet ski's 60 to 70 is a good number. I have two large skies so I have more tongue weight. I found that it rides best for me around 80 pounds. I get no jerking and a nice ride in that area. My ski's are 830 pounds empty. So by the time I add two skis, the trailer, fuel and oil, gear box on the front of the trailer,,, 85 pounds is a good tongue weight.

I would NOT go any lower in your case. It will likely allow for the ski's to want to bounce up and down on the hitch as you travel down the road. That is a recipe for disaster or at the very least, a very uncomfortable ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back