Silicone grease vs sythetic grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CASPX

What is the difference between silicone grease and sythetic grease?

Can I use silicone grease to seal my waterproof connectors or will it bridge electrical signals like Di- electric grease?

And.... Where can I find silicone grease, made some calls and nobody seems to know what it is or carry it.

Thanks

I use dielectric on the actual connections. You can use a white lithium to coat the plug and it will help keep moisture out and not affect any electrical flow.

Ok so side note: I pulled my stator deustch connector apart and when I put it back together I dielectric greased the back of the male connector inlets on the grey piece (not the connectors themselves but the grey body). I'm concerned that the excess grease is bridging the gap between the male connectors inside the grey piece and it'll short something out when I fire it.

I'm just about ready to fire this thing today and it'll be the first time since the rebuild but don't want to take any chances on frying anything electrical should I pull the deustch back apart part and clean it out before I fire it?

(I'd have to pull the stator cover in the bike because the motor us already back in)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, all dielectric greases are silicone. They are insulators and will not bridge. Silicone is not recommended for any contact that can arc as it creates silicon carbide.

Try this article if you really want to learn about the stuff:

http://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

I got my silicone grease from Jet-Lube on Amazon. It's properties compare with Dow 111 and I use it on the spark plug boots in place of Dow.

Synthetic grease is anything not petroleum based. Most common are the white Lithium and Lithium Complex formulas. The white Lithium is for lower temp, lower load applications. Lithium Complex is what is in Wheel Bearing Grease. You can see good specs at the Lucas Oil website. Look at Red N Tacky or Marine Grease for specs. I recently switched to the Lucas Oil Marine Grease because it has a higher drop point. There are lots of others, so beware. There is Aluminum Complex and some Lithium with Moly spec'd for Ford suspension parts, for example.

Dielectric grease is not meant to be "slathered" on an electrical connection. In order for the connectors to actually contact, the grease is pushed out the way during the press fit. For that reason, I never coat the ends of a male connector, but I have seen others do it without consequence.

Let Dave know when he gets there that I said THANK YOU!

Very good information.

I was always under the impression that dielectric grease was a conductive grease and instead it seems like an insulating grease So my semi-flooded stator connector should be just fine like it sits AND I should be using dielectric grease as a substitute for synthetic grease when assembling my Sea Doo motor.

Thanks for the education.

Well, that's what the forum is for, but be careful about assembly. You should only use the lubricants specified in the shop manual or its equivalent.

I saw someone assembling a jet pump and used grease instead of gasket maker. I would not do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back